'58 plate Nevada Classic ie. Jerky slow running- any fix??

Great. Thanks, once again… Incidentally, I noticed in one of your posts elsewhere that you fitted the Aerolite version of the Finebau, so did I. It seems from reading other’s experiences that this version may be less efective than the others? Cheers Peter

Peter,
I cannot really compare one sort of Finebau with another. Mine is back under the bench and anyone is welcome to it! Through boredom I have balanced the throttles, set the tickover speed and reset the TPS. She is running as sweet as a nut and, with her new Mistrals is ready for a good run. Me too!
David

Yes indeed, but I think it will be some time coming… Good to hear you’ve been successful.

Before I bought my Finebau device I checked with Dave Shaw (who was the owner) and he recommended the one I bought. I think they were new out at the time. The previous one, which plugged in to the lamda sensor was optimised by people testing it out on actual bikes (Bellagio was mentioned I recall). I do not know if the same process was used on the type we bought.
David.

Well after a long delay assembling bits and pieces I’ve started work on the bike again, checked the valve clearances, all ok, made myself a manometer, bit crude but seems to work, and have just set it up to balance the throttles. Closed both by-pass screws and started her up, soon became obvious that the RH cylinder is sucking a lot more than the LH. To check that it isn’t the device at fault I switched the suction pipes over and got the same result.

Tried to adjust the flows using the screw on the end of the linkage rod, but a half turn either way didn’t seem to have any effect. Is it likely that the balance would be that far out, and can anyone remember which way to turn the screw to increase flow to the LH cylinder?? Don’t want to do something silly… (as is my wont) only to find out afterwards…Doh!

I think you may just have to turn it until you see a balance point being approached. You cannot really come to any harm.
“Courage mon brave”!
Remember this balancing should be carried out with the engine nicely warmed up and with the revs at about 2000 rpm.
David.

Thanks for that! You don’t recall which way is which do you ?

Sorry, no. Suck it and see! It should be obvious once it starts to move. As the throttle stop (the sacred screw) is only on the left hand side there is a chance that on a closed throttle the right side butterfly is fully closed. In which case it may take a bit of movement in the cross link to get anywhere near sync.

Thanks (again) for that David! We’ll have another go tomorrow.

Sorry, just re-read your post. What I should have said is that the right side may be much more open than the left side. That makes sense actually because, if it is , there would need to be a significant change of its angle needed to pull it into sync. Once they are near sync the balance shaft screw movement becomes very sensitive and the revs can jump about quite a bit, even due to the small force you need to exert to keep the screwdriver blade in the slot!

Yes noticed the problem in adjusting the screw without causing a big rev rise. I’ll inspec the linkage tomorrow with a bit more time and it will probably make more sense! Peter

Any update on how you got on?
David

Hi David, yes did a bit more yesterday, found that there was a slight airleak around one of my vacuum take-off nipples, and that was probably responsible for the wild performance before. Anyway, sorted that and eventually achieved a good balance between the two. It was actually only a quarter turn from existing, so not that far out anyway.

Ticking over well, sounds happier at tickover than before, nice even pressure from both exhausts, took it out for a test and have to say not a lot of difference at low throttle openings, although it did seem be slightly better at quarter to half throttle. Certainly didn’t notice the lack of the Finebau device…

Anyway, now that I know that everything is more or less as it should be, I think my next step will be to disconnect the Lambda sensor (as recommended in some threads on Guzziriders) and see what happens. Seems easy enough, and fully reversible if no benefit. Keep you posted…

Incidentally, while I was inspecting the throttle body linkages, I found that the “choke” control wasn’t actually doing anything at all, which I had long suspected. What exactly is it supposed to do? Looks as if it should simply increase the rpm at tickover, but at the moment it doesn’t even do that.

Thanks for your interest

Peter

The choke control is not really a choke, it is a fast idle control. Mine does not work either! It is seized solid and, although I have bought a new cable from Gutsibits, it looks such a mare of a job to change it I have so far chickened out of tackling it. There is a small pan head screw underneath the mechanism that, if slackened, allows you to adjust the operating cam position relative to a roller pin that operates on the right side throttle and transfers back to the left side via the balance rod.

Peter,
I forgot to ask, after getting everything right did you remember to do a TPS reset via GuzziDiag?
David.

I’ll have a go at adjusting the cable if that is indeed all it’s supposed to do. Thanks.

Haven’t touched TPS yet as haven’t bought a lead yet, was thinking that as I hadn’t altered the throttle balance by very much it probably won’t have changed? Must confess not at all sure what it does…

The throttle position sensor (TPS) is what feeds back to the ECU the position of the throttle butterflies. It is basically a potentiometer and as they get used they alter their output a bit. Doing a TPS reset is a doddle using GuzziDiag and makes a really big difference to the engine’s response. The lead from Lonelec costs about £20 and is very good quality.
David.

Right. I’ll invest in a lead and have a go! Cheers David. Peter

Hi again David, just waiting for Lonetec to get back to me, in the meantime I’ve been browsing on ebay and found this balancer- is it the same as the one you’ve got?

[urhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-CARB-BALANCER-VACUUM-GAUGE-TOOL/233575874590l][/url]

If it works!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,
The link does not work.
I do not think it is made anymore.
Mine works using the differential pressure across the two cylinders rather than each vacuum individually.
David.