'58 plate Nevada Classic ie. Jerky slow running- any fix??

Hi David, never was any good at links… try this- ebay item number: 233575874590 might do the trick.

Perfect! The very one I use. I can not recommend it highly enough.
David.

Thought it sounded similar. I might well invest in one as my home-made effort was not wonderful due mainly to inadequate materials. Good to have the recommendation. Thanks again. Peter

Any update Peter? I keep wondering how you are getting on with sorting it out.
David.

Hi David, thanks for the interest, not done a lot more since last posting, due mainly to waiting for things to arrive. The balancer arrived yesterday, so may have a go at again that later, the connecting lead from Lonelec has not been available until today, and the seller has been away I think, but should be back now so I’ll soon have one in the post hopefully. Shame that we’re missing all this lovely weather, although I did sneak a little ride the other day down the lanes (for exercise you understand) that was very enjoyable. Hope to have more to report next time! Cheers Peter

PS is this connector the same as yours? Lonelec asked me to confirm three or four pin.
dataconnector Nevada.jpg

That’s the one. Three wires feed it.

Hi David, update- used the balancer, very ingenious device. Achieved a good balance at about 2000 revs, bit more difficult at tickover due to wide oscillation of ball. Anyway, eventually set both bye-pass screws to 3/4 turn open, which is more or less where they were before. Net result of all this is much better and cleaner mid-range (2-3k) response, but still a bit hesitant and jerky at low speeds (1.5-2k). Lonelec cable in the post so should be able to do TPS next week. Keep you posted. Cheers, Peter

Good news Peter! You will probably find it easier to get a good balance at low revs once you have done a TPS reset. GuzziDiag will also reveal any fault codes you may have too.
Looking forward to the next episode!
David.

Any more progress Peter?
All the best,
David.

Hi David, well, some progress. I’ve received the leads (had to modify the battery connectors as the supplied clips were v.flimsy) and installed them into the laptop, and downloaded GuzziDiag. Been sidetracked a bit by having to replace the indicators, as one fell off… rubbish design that I’ve been wanting to replace for ages. Not too sure about GuzziDiag yet, feeling my way as a bit wary of doing something silly and I don’t find it all that user-friendly. Anyway, a rainy day forecast for tomorrow so maybe a good chance to have a go. Keep you posted… Cheers, Peter

Peter, There is a user guide on how to use GuzziDiag on the Griso.org website where you found GuzziDiag. It is fairly simple but a bit “pre Windows”!

Hi David,

Tried to connect to GuzziDiag today, all seemed to be ok, but it didn’t produce any readings. I didn’t read or download the existing ECU map as I don’t intend to make any changes, but is this necessary to make adjustments to the TPS??

I got as far as connecting to the ECU, and all seemed well, but then nothing appeared on the the screen, no readings at all.

Also the dialog box for selecting the settings doesn’t include Throttle, but has Throttle Real, Throttle V, or TPS Trimmer as options. Any idea which would reset the TPS?

Bit stuck now. Not unusual for me… However, bike still runs so no harm done yet…

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,
Did you select your bike from the drop-down list?
Did you select Connect from the File menu at the top left of the screen?
There should be readings in all the boxes once the engine is running. You need to scroll up in the box on the left of the screen to see all the display options for throttle, I got caught out with that one! Throttle is above Throttle real. Note the reading in degrees.

To do a TPS reset you go to the bar at the top of the screen and select View then Actors which takes you to another screen. There will be 3 drop down boxes, they all seem to be the same. One of the drop down choices is TPS reset. It will tell you to switch off the engine and then you tell it to act. It will do the TOS reset instantly, then tell you to restart the bike. Go back to View then measurements and you should see the throttle value has changed,

Call me if you need to.
D

Hi David, answer to your first two points is yes, and I’ve now found the “throttle” button! Doh… However, perhaps the biggest Doh… is that I didn’t realise the engine had to be running. The prog says turn ignition on (and off) but no mention of starting it up. Obvious when you think about it. Not had any more time today but hoping to have another go over the weekend. Keep you posted! Thanks for all your (continuing) help.

Cheers

Peter

Hi David, well some success to report for a change, I managed to access the GuzziDiag, and when I checked the throttle it was 1.87. Reset it, and it’s now 3.1 which is correct. I then balanced the TBs again, it had changed quite a bit actually, and also the byepass screws. The latter ended up being quite different to each other, don’t know if that’s normal? Anyway it was more or less right on the balancer. The end result is that it is much better now than it was when I bought it. I think if it had been like this to start with I wouldn’t have been too bothered. Anything above 2200 rpm is fine. Still a wee bit snatchy below that, but I can live with it.

As disconnecting the Lambda sensor temporarily seems to be recommended by a lot of people I’ll do that next- seems quite an easy thing to do- and see what effect that has. Watch this space!

Cheers

Peter

I tried that briefly on mine. After a short while I got the ECU warning light on which I hated.

The other thing is to check your throttle cable free play. There should be only a gnat’s cock on the opening cable and a bit more on the closing cable.

Mmmm. Makes sense I’m sure. If the ECU is short of an input then it probably does protest. Anyway I’ll give it a go, easily reversed if mine does the same.

Cheers.

Peter