72 Elderado rebuild

Hi fortunate to have a very low mileage Elderado. I’ve heard that these bikes are very robust and reliable. I have purchased Gilardoni barrels etc and am about to commence. Anyone out there willing to offer advice would be greatly appreciated. The bike appears to have original tires ! These are in very good condition however won’t be doing 80mph in ancient rubber so which tires are recommended ? Similarly front brake and modern linings that improve efficiency? Paint the bikes in original cherry red but I so like the black version any recommended paint shops?

Contact with an owner with years of experience on these bikes would be great

Regards Ratt Gloucester

Replacing barrels and pistons is pretty straightforward, much like any other big-block Guzzi. Make sure you get the 6 little O-rings in the right places when you re-assemble. Some people reckon to tighten the head nuts down and then leave for a day or 2 to relax, then re-tighten before assembling the rocker gear, Obviously re-tighten after 500 miles etc etc.
If you have the big threaded collars on your exhaust downpipes, these can come undone once disturbed when taking the heads off. Do them up tight, and then re-tighten while everything is hot once you have it running.
Have a look at your generator bracket while it’s apart. These can crack and also the 2 bolts into the block come undone. The bracket can be reinforced and bolts replaced with studs and nuts. Run the belt pretty slack so as not to overload the bracket and generator bearings.

I run my 850GT (same bike but in European spec) on Avon Roadrider tyres. They should be 4.00-18 front and rear but there are also metric equivalents.

Friction Services (near Cardiff) re-lined my front brake shoes, but setting the adjustment properly is really important. Follow the guide on “This Old Tractor” website if you’re not already familiar.

Ian

Hi , having carried out a similar job on a '69 Ambassador the main advice I would give would be to change every seal and every oring. I did the barrels and all the gaskets on the block and thought the gearbox input seal would be ok …it wasn’t, so I ended up stripping it again. I couldn’t get the exhuast retaining nut to stay locked so bought the ones with the lock nuts. +1 on the ‘This old tractor’ website a great sorce of info.

Good luck Dave

Thanks for that, Avon roadrunners it is, any thoughts about unleaded petrol there doesn’t seem an issue with this on Guzzies ? This correct obviously the E10 is to be avoided probably line the tank .

Regards Ratt

Ahh didn’t want to really do the gearbox seal, so will run up and monitor closely, I assume the oil ( engine) will drip at the bell housing face?

Unleaded petrol any issue or ok to use E5 ?

Thanks again Ratt

Unleaded is fine with no required changes to the motor. I mostly try to avoid E10 for any of my bikes.
Jug.PNG

Just about to start found a very interesting article in real classic about the bike and the barrel replacement. They recommend getting piston weights equal to original and as mentioned dynamo bracket is an issue they often replace with a VW alternator . Anyone done this? Advice type wiring rectifier etc be great help. Hopefully in 6 weeks max be on road testing. All the modern bikes can go this will do

Did not like the dynamo mount at all, first bit of dubious engineering I’ve come across. Spent a day improving it or think I have. Then decided on advice to get an alternator fortunately still available in U.K. the bracket from the USA with associated postage costs :flushed:

1 Like

Hi Ratt, after I’ve done with my Convert re-jig I am going back to my Ambassador which has been neglected for too long. I was thinking of the alternator mod too. Which alternator is it that you used, model, part no. etc and was the bracket from Scrambler in the US? Was the cost extortionate with delivery costs added? Would it be difficult to fabricate? Cheers John.

Hi John it arrived today yes was expensive although I didn’t get stung import duty a parcel from Germany I did weird. Yes alternator available U.K. £100 on Amazon send your phone or e Mail knee deep in Elderado rebuild
Ratt