750T (or V65 etc) front brake light switch….

Hi All,

Today I have been doing a little maintenance on my 750T, nothing major, but it included taking the hand controls apart to clean and grease them - they don’t appear to have had any grease on them since the factory back in 1991….

Now that I have put things back together, I have a permanent brake light switch ON, seemingly the front brake. Taking the front brake lever out again, it doesn’t seem that there is anything to actuate the normally closed microswitch that is fitted. This is with the standard Brembo PS13 (?) square reservoir master cylinder. There is a drilling in the M/C between the microswitch mounting area, and the space where the end of the brake lever lives, but nothing that connects the two. Have I missed something out?

Also, what is the function of the little V-shaped spring in the pivot end of the lever?

Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob

If you look on the floor, if you are lucky, you will find the tiny black plastic ‘cylinder’ that goes between the lever and the switch that fell out when you removed the Lever. Its about 3mm long and the same in diameter. Unfortunately they are not available separately from the switch!

good luck, Nik

Also, the V shaped spring is to ‘detent’ the Lever adjuster, the slotted screw next to it.

Hello Nik,

Thanks for the answers.

Second part first: OK, the spring is an adjuster detent! That makes sense. However, not needed on my lever as the adjuster is solidly corroded into place, grrr. It was one of those things that I was hoping to adjust a little, as the lever is bent - probably a low speed drop by a previous owner. I have reached out to Gutsibits for a replacement, when they get one in stock.

As for the tiny plastic cylinder, hmmm well I’ve just spent about an hour on my hands and (old!!) knees carefully sweeping up the workshop / shed floor. It wasn’t that messy but its still a concrete floor. No sign of a small plastic cylinder I’m afraid. I do however note on Fowler’s parts website’s online fiches, that the same master cylinder has a ball bearing in that place. Gutsibits list them, part #ELA92708, Guzzi 92295708. Diameter is 3.9mm.

So my solution may be two-pronged: 1. Order a ball bearing or two from Gutsibits, and 2. Make a suitable piece of plastic to put in there, for now at least.

I will post to the collective when I get a solution……

Cheers, Bob.

1 Like

Hi Bob

Ah, yes you are correct. Some did use a Ball Bearing.

Now, i have the Levers on the shelf, £11 + £3 shipping. I also have the Ball Bearings…somewhere!

I keep thing like that on the shelf as i runa small workshop in W Sussex. I’ll let you know if i find the Balls. Let me know if you want a Lever.

Nik

Hi Nik, yes please on the lever. I have ordered a ball and a spare from Gutsibits. I will contact you via PM about the lever.

Cheers, Bob

Hi a fair sub for the plastic cylinder might be a piece of biro/ ball point pen ink tube cut to size! if one end needs to be “sealed” or capped a bit of chemical metal/ putty/ or a squeeze of rtv sealant could work!