8 Valve Survey

As long as Moto Guzzi pay And it resolves the issue I will not have a problem. In fact I went with a friend to view a Stelvio at the weekend and he has bought it knowing the issue I have with mine because he liked the bike so much. Needless to say I have furnished him with a membership form

Moto Guzzi gave agreed to pay so just waiting for the bits to arrive.

Hope it doesn’t take too long. That’s the inconvenience.

I’m just hoping that it doesnt do any damage whilst I am riding it. The dealer says it is ok to keep using the bike. I find myself wincing every time I open the throttle. I goes quite at 80 though

Good result about Piaggio doing the work, very encouraging. I wouldn’t have thought you should be riding it though ?
Presume they will do the oilway flush and oil pump check, etc., to get rid of any debris that might be floating around.

Sorry to bring this one up again, do we have the response from Moto Guzzi electronically anywhere?
I have been chasing up my claim with the dealer and after telling me that the claim has bee passed and the parts are on order, they now say that Moto Guzzi are querying the claim.
The bike has a full service history so I can’t see what the issue is.

I am not sure if it is the dealer who is telling me porkies of not but it has taken.5 weeks so far and I am getting fed up.

pm sue nock your address and she will send you a photo copy of the letter the club got from Tony Cambell at piaggio
Regards sueSparky Sue2013-07-22 21:29:49

Thanks Sue

My bike is a 2008 Griso 8v model. It had the cams changed at 6000 miles and again at 36000. Both times under warranty even though it was 4 years old the second time. It’s done another 11k since without problem…fingers crossed…

I spoke to Piaggio yesterday and they want pictures if the offending parts and the service history. That means they will have to strip the bike and then wait for a decision and for the bits from Italy. Louigi and his mates will be off on their hols soon so it might be September before they get the bits. 6 weeks now an still no decision. I am beginning to wish I hadn’t bought the bike and stuck with my Breva or gone for another make. Horton9162013-07-26 08:15:29

They have the service history, it’s on their computer system - unless the servicing dealer didn’t enter the information. If they wanted pictures, why didn’t they ask 6 weeks ago?

Does anyone know what percentage of pre-roller cam 8V bikesare affected? In other words, with my 2009 bike am I looking at a near-certainty that it will suffer the failure (it’s done < 2K miles so far) or a fair chance it will be OK?

Some Bikes are affected most are not. The UK seems to have had a greater percentage of failures than the rest of the world. From the relatively small sample involved in the Club survey, of the 28 Stelvio owners 13 had received new cams of the 16 Griso owners who responded 6 had received new cams. But these figures represent only those members who responded to the survey ,many people who had no problems with their bike would not have responded to the survey so this does skew the results. The majority of cams which fail have done so at between 6 and 12000 miles. So far Moto Guzzi have upheld their promise to evaluate each claim individually and I know of no occasions to date where the problem has not reached a satisfactory conclusion.
I would recommend you ride the bike and enjoy the good weather while it lasts.
Regards Sue Nock PRO Moto Guzzi club GB

Thanks Sue. It really is great biking weather and I’ve been enjoying my Griso in the Peak District and around the Cheshire lanes whenever I get the opportunity, since I got it a couple of weeks ago. I will continue to do so!Cheers!

GZK6NK2013-07-27 17:33:20

The claim has finally been passed after 8 weeks. Just waiting for parts now. But of course the factory is on Holiday so god knows when they will arrive. Looks like I will be going to the v-twin rally on the Monster. Oh well, it least I have something to go on and it is a v-twin

Parts distribution is handled by a shipping company like Fed Ex, so might not be involved in the annual holiday.

The dealer is telling me that the warranty department release the parts and they have a skeleton staff in. I have a trip to Austria booked to leave in 4 weeks so I hope they have it done by thenHorton9162013-08-15 15:15:18