850 T3 tiny holes in frame headset

Hello I am currently restoring my 1989 T3 and was wondering if anyone knows what the two small holes are in my frame at the headset, they are through holes into the interior of the frame and measure 1.5mm diameter I am unsure whether to leave them open from paint or not. :thinking:

Not sure but i think maybe some early frames had VIN plates rivitted on for some markets!
If you dont want to weld or fill them you could pop a blob of rtv sealant in there which could be easily removed at a later date!

1 Like

They are rivet holes where the VIN plate would be attached.

2 Likes

Thanks Steveras,

I was thinking that might be the reason for them, but wasn’t really sure, I think it would be wise to fill them bearing in mind my bike lives in Wales now and not sunny Italy :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your help and advice :+1:

All good mate ! stay safe! looks like you have a little work to do before you ride it! :thinking: :laughing:

1 Like

You can get a reproduction VIN plate on eBay from India but you would have to stamp the numbers yourself. I bought one but never bothered stamping or fitting it. My frame holes are now full of powder coating!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I think I shall proceed with a filler and push on with painting :+1:

1 Like

Oh yes just a bit, I only wanted to change the clutch but just kept finding things which needed replacing so decided to go the whole hog, I do love the bike so hopefully it will all be worth it :+1:

keep your eye on the prize and youll get there! good luck!

1 Like