850 V7 Special - To remap or not to remap?

Hi.

I have a 3 year old 850 V7 Special and am generally very pleased with it. I do find though that at slow speeds through towns the fuelling is not the best and it can feel rather ‘lumpy’ and not very pleasant (great on the open road though).

What I was wondering is if a remap might help this and if so where to get the new mapping from. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and what was the result?

Thanks.

I’ve remapped my v85tt, it very much improves the throttle response right across the rpm range.

the downside is it uses more fuel, on a long run taking it easy i get 55mpg where i used to get almost 70mpg.

having said that, I could restore the original map, and haven’t, because it’s so much more fun to ride.

the middle ground is a booster plug, which I did use for 2 or 3 years, you get a better low rpm throttle (but not as good as a remap) and can keep the fuel economy too because at low rpm the fuel trimming is still working from ECU.

all of the above is with a decat. so if you have not decatted YMMV.

Hi. Thanks for that.

Which remap did you use?

Please excuse my ignorance but I do not understand the last sentence at all. What does YMMV stand for?

“your milage may vary”

I used the upmap kit from guareschi moto

You might need to only do the ‘EVAP delete’, which costs nothing. I have 2021 850 Special and the fuelling was terrible just after a cold start (usually) with stumbling and hesitation and lurching, like a carb bike running out of petrol. The ‘EVAP delete’ consists of cutting the hose below the solenoid valve behind left side panel, that connects EVAP cannister to the inlet manifold. Leave a bit of hose attached to the valve and block it up (I used an M8 bolt).

Secondly, cut the adjacent tank vent hose, or just cut a slit in it to let tank pressure out.

Photo below is not mine but shows solenoid valve has a pipe cap on the bottom of it to blank it off, and tank vent hose (in front of it) disappears behind frame tube but is actually cut short there. EVAP canister was removed in this case - I didn’t bother, just did the hoses. Total cure for the original ‘surging’ issue. HTH

.

3 Likes

good fix.

the surging issue on v85tt was a different cause and solution. unshielded sensor wires picking up interference and feeding the ecu wrong readings.

1 Like

I, too, was unhappy with the about town fueling of my '21 V7-850. I remapped with UpMap and think that it’s perfick. Straightforward process after watching a couple of Youtube vids.

Thank you all so much for your responses. It sounds like the UpMap remap is the thing to go for. I will investigate.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I used UpMap on a V9 and it was excellent, also added Mistral pipes and velocity stack at the same time. No low end rattle anymore and really smooth power delivery. The remap solves all the air cooled Euro 5 issues.

1 Like

Thank you. That is good to hear.

I am still waiting to hear from the distributors of UpMaps in this country if they can get one for a 2023 V7 III 850 Special.

1 Like

I contacted gureschi moto by email, they replied quite quickly answering my queries, so I ordered direct from them in Italy.

edit: they will be closed now like everything else in Italy, until September

Gutsibits can get one for you . £355.50 after club discount. Includes one free map for your V7

Plus one more reccomendation for the UpMap remap. I bought the T800 device from Gutsibits and downloaded the free map on line (a few available depending on whether you’ve changed the exhaust / headers. Its a quick and simple process - and it has made my 2024 V7 tone run so much sweeter at the low end and pick up cleanly from low revs as well with no flat spot.

The fact that you can revert to the original map may become important if the new proposals on vehicle emissions become law for bikes ( which would make changing the map prosecutable with a £ 1000 fine) becomes law in summer 2027.

Governments are so adept at spoiling our fun are they not!!!

Thank you for all your help and advice gentlemen. I am going to order one from Gutsibits and will let you know how I get on.