ADVICE TO NEW V7 II OWNER PLEASE

Hi
I have purchased a new V7 II and I am seeking some experienced advice, I hope someone can help;
Will H&B or Givi pannier frames fit the V7 II when I already have a Guzzi OE luggauge rack fitted? (I asked Givi via their website email and never recieved a reply :frowning: )
Can anyone recommend any other hard (or soft) luggage for this model?
Will the poor part throttle fuellling improve with mileage or should I be considering one of the black box mods that claim to improve this (assuming I can live without the remaining warranty of course!) - does anyone have any experience of these?
Can anyone recommend a dealer in the Midlands/North Wales or Merseyside for servicing? It will soon be due itā€™s first service/inspection and although I purchased it from Moto Strada in Shipley, I do not want to return there for servicing due to the distance from me (Shropshire).
Thanks for any hints, tips or advice

Hi Chris, I had the same Qs in mind when I bought my V7 Classic five years back.
Since the OE rack occupies the top suspension mount no other racks can be used. I got by that using throwovers, though if Iā€™d held out a bit longer I couldā€™ve bought the Guzzi leather panniers here at a bargain price from a Member.
The part-throttle roughness was cured with a fuelling compensator produced by another Member. Search ā€˜Finebau Forgeā€™ here for details. Easily fitted and easily restored back to factory :wink:
Dealers love it when they get the spadework associated with another dealerā€™s new bike sale, so avoid the Reef, White-tip, Hammerhead and of course, Great White :laughing:
Hopefully someone with a MkII will back me up, meanwhile gl&hf

Phil

Welcomeā€¦you have 2 branches nearā€¦North Staffs who meet at Kidsgroveā€¦and Severn Valleyā€¦who meet near Telfordā€¦none of us biteā€¦

Branches are worth a visit as Kate suggests. A lot of useful information in amongst the ā€˜chatterā€™ :wink:
also worth getting along to Guzzi (club) events to catch up with folk. Thereā€™s a meet at Foxton Locks nt J21 of the M1 next Sunday 28/6
QB are a bit closer to you. Generally well thought of. http://www.qbmotorcycles.co.uk/

Gutsibits http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/Home/index.php list luggage as does Moto Guzziā€™s UK website. May be worth ringing Guy and Ed at gutsibits first as they know theit Guzzis.

Good luck with the ownership.
Steve

If youā€™re okay to travel to Worcester then Streffords is the place for servicing. Few better than Nathan and youā€™ll get a cuppa

Mate, youā€™ve been done. I give you ƂĀ£1500 and take it off your hands. :wink:

Thanks to all for taking the trouble to respond.

I have looked at the Gutsbits site but it doesnā€™t really help much, I will try ringing them as suggested.
I think I will go for Streffords for the servicing then, A&D and QB didnā€™t bother to respond to my emails requesting a quotation for the bike to spec when I was buying the bike so that rules them both out for me I am afraid, (hence my trip to Yorkshire)
The issue I would really like to resolve though is the poor fuelling/rough running on part throttle (thanks Phil for your suggestion, I will look into that). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the V7/other Guzzis? Is this something I need to ask the dealer to look at during the first service or is it a ā€˜characteristicā€™ of the V7?
Many thanks for any info.

Chris

Google Finebau Forge Chris and have a read of the siteā€¦donā€™t know if Streffords stock themā€¦think Twiggers doā€¦and of course you could get one directā€¦

Hi Chris,
Iā€™ve also got a new V7 II (from QB incidentally, they had just the model I wanted fresh in stock).
I know what you mean about the part-throttle running - yes itā€™s a ā€œcharacteristicā€ of the EFi mapping/closed-loop lambda control set point.
I spoke to Dave Shaw of Finebau Forge but unfortunately he doesnā€™t think his current product can be used on the latest EFi 750ā€™s, something to do with a temperature sensor having been moved/removed I think he said.

When I took my bike in for its 1st service Martin at QB suggested I wait a while as the sensors will settle down (I guess their operating point shifts slightly after a few temperature cycles and a bit of contamination).

My experience at nearly 1000 miles is the part-throttle running has improved slightly, but itā€™s still not very good. It shows all the symptoms of running over-lean. Not wanting to sound negative though, it runs really well above 2800-3000 RPM and with wider throttle opening :wink:

Tech speak: I may experiment with shifting the operating point of the lambda sensors, but as theyā€™re the switching narrowband types there wonā€™t be much scope for significant adjustment. Itā€™ll require a small box of electronics to sample and re-generate the sensor signals. I first need to measure the sensor signals with a 'scope to check thresholds. A proper fix would be to use wideband sensors, but that starts getting a bit expensiveā€¦ personally I donā€™t want to fiddle whilst itā€™s under warranty. I suspect a small shift towards rich would make a world of difference, and tweaking towards rich is not dangerous (tweaking leaner could be).

Theyā€™re a great little bike, arenā€™t they?

HTH, Pete.

If this is your first Guzzi then welcome to the insanity.
Kate is right, get in touch with your local branch('s), youā€™ll get the best advice there.
I got a custom Givi rack made up by Sue and Keith Nock (Lincolnshire Eagle) for my lilā€™Breva, thay should be able to do something for you but may require you take the bike for measuring up.
The Lambda sensor mod certainly worked on my lilā€™Breva but if Dave says not yet then you may have to wait.
My Bellagio for which they were originally designed is running fine without one. It really is down to individual bikes.

Congrats - a great bike you have there.

V7 luggage -

For the V7C, a mate knocked up this side rack for me out of stainless rod. It attaches to the OEM luggage rack at the lugs provided and to the footrest hanger along with the muffler. Suits soft bags - I prefer the Ortlieb panniers - they are waterproof - but Iā€™ve also used the cheaper Oxfords satisfactorily.

The tankbag is the OEM one with a waterproof cover made up by a motor trimmer.

The V7S has only the OEM rack, so I use the Wolfman Beta bag. Wolfman also make the Mini Beta (itā€™s smaller) and do versions that are fully waterproof.

In a dayā€™s solid rain, damp did get into one pocket. Drybags are your friend. If you go for this style, Iā€™d advise paying the extra for the waterproof ones; just a lot less hassle.

Mal

Re the poor running: -

My experience with the V7C (twin throttle body with 120,000k) & the 2014 V7S (single throttle body with 15,000k) is thus:-

The V7C settled down & loosened up noticeably at 15,000k & again at 30,000k. The aftermarket muffler (Staintune) freed up the mid-range significantly & was well worth the money (in retrospect - actually deciding to spend that amount caused some angst, but Iā€™ve never regretted it). Tried the ā€œblack boxā€ for a few thousand k, but as it seemed to do nothing, I removed it. I did find the Shell 98 fuel (in this country) causes problems in fuelling (others have found this too), so I use 95 or 91 fuel. The additives in your fuels are likely to be different.

When I bought the V7S with 4,400k on the clock recently, cold starts were a problem - needed a warm up before moving off. Now, at 15,000k, this is much improved. It has always idled somewhat roughly compared to the V7C, but runs well. I suspect an ECU reflash may fix that; just have to get around to it. When you have the service done, ask them to check that you have the latest ECU update from Guzzi. With continued use, it should settle down.

I trust youā€™ve been following the recommended run-in procedure - ride it like you stole it, lots of running up and down the gears (through the tight twisties is ideal, motorways are contra-indicated) to give the engine & gearbox a real workout. You can settle down to your normal riding style after running it in.

Have fun.

Mal

Hi Chris,
Iā€™ve also got a new V7 II (from QB incidentally, they had just the model I wanted fresh in stock).
I know what you mean about the part-throttle running - yes itā€™s a ā€œcharacteristicā€ of the EFi mapping/closed-loop lambda control set point.
I spoke to Dave Shaw of Finebau Forge but unfortunately he doesnā€™t think his current product can be used on the latest EFi 750ā€™s, something to do with a temperature sensor having been moved/removed I think he said.

When I took my bike in for its 1st service Martin at QB suggested I wait a while as the sensors will settle down (I guess their operating point shifts slightly after a few temperature cycles and a bit of contamination).

My experience at nearly 1000 miles is the part-throttle running has improved slightly, but itā€™s still not very good. It shows all the symptoms of running over-lean. Not wanting to sound negative though, it runs really well above 2800-3000 RPM and with wider throttle opening > :wink:

Tech speak: I may experiment with shifting the operating point of the lambda sensors, but as theyā€™re the switching narrowband types there wonā€™t be much scope for significant adjustment. Itā€™ll require a small box of electronics to sample and re-generate the sensor signals. I first need to measure the sensor signals with a 'scope to check thresholds. A proper fix would be to use wideband sensors, but that starts getting a bit expensiveā€¦ personally I donā€™t want to fiddle whilst itā€™s under warranty. I suspect a small shift towards rich would make a world of difference, and tweaking towards rich is not dangerous (tweaking leaner could be).

Theyā€™re a great little bike, arenā€™t they?

HTH, Pete.

Thanks Pete

Yes, it is a great little bike otherwise, but if this is how they all run at part throttle I think Moto Guzzi needs to do something about it. I may be a very short term Guzzi owner/club member as I nearly dropped it on a tight mini roundabout at low speed in second when it just died on me. I may therefore go back to the other type of air cooled twin (carburettor) with shaft drive with which I have never experienced this 'characteristicĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢! Such a shame because I love the bike otherwise but I canĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t live with this fault.

Chris

Thanks again to all for the advice.

I have to say aftermarket silencers, black box mods etc. were not what I bargained for when buying a new bike.
I havenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t been previously advised to Ć¢ā‚¬Ėœrun it in like I stole itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ (so far, I have been running it in like I have all my other bikes over 40 odd years, gradually increasing load and revs, so maybe it will improve with mileage). I have been using Shell premium 98 octane, so maybe I will try avoiding that at the next fill up and I will certainly check for any ECU updates at the first service (next week at Streffords).

I will update if there is anything more to report.

Chris

Streffords are good enthusuastic dealersā€¦tell themā€¦they will sort it am sureā€¦

Hi Chris,
I fully get youā€™re coming from - isnā€™t it crazy that a brand new bike canā€™t be made to run properly? Youā€™re right not to ā€œride it like you stole itā€! I too steadily built up the revs/load over about 1200 miles, and the engineā€™s great except for low speed running.
My advice is stick with it, mine certainly improved a bit at around 1500 miles although it can still die a bit when pulling away, which as you know is not too clever!

As far as I know there are no ECU updates, but Iā€™d be interested to hear what Streffords say.
I still think itā€™s possible to tweak the closed loop running (which I believe is where the problem lies), I just havenā€™t got around to looking into it yet. Too busy riding it :wink:

Look at it this way: What else could you buy that looks so good, and is so pleasant and easy to ride? Oh, and not to mention the mid-60ā€™s MPG :slight_smile:

Pete.

Donā€™t know if youā€™re sorted yet with your pannier rails but Keith Nock made m a set of Givi rails which bolt into the OEM rack on my V7 Stone. Superb job.

Iā€™ve got a V7 II Special bought new from the excellent MoTech of Newcastle. At the first service they diagnosed a temperature sensing fault in one of the electronic gadgets which apparently was telling the ECU that the airbox temperature was 10C hotter than reality. So the ECU leaned out the mixture making the bike stall when setting off. This fault more or less dissapeared when the bike got hot, but was a disaster when cold. So MoTech replaced several components till they got my bike running as good as their own demonstrator. My bikeā€™s engine is running great now with no glitches.

Thatā€™s great, Gripper and kudos to MoTech for the tuning chops :nerd:

Phil