Air Damper / Fork Re-assembly

Can anyone help with how the air damper locates in the fork leg…
I have stripped my forks and each leg has a fork leg, stanchion, damper unit and a bush that was firmly located in the base of the fork leg. The are the remains of O Rings on the o/s on the damper end cap and also on the o/s of the bush. Both end cap and bush also have cut outs that look like they should locate on something to stop the damper turning when you tighten the end bolt. What I don’t have is any ‘peg’ in the fork leg to locate these cut outs. Also with the O Rings in place how does the lubricating oil get to the drain hole?
Please look at the attached picture and explain to me how it all locates!
(I’ve tried to upload other pictures but it won’t let me…)
Regards, Steve A

Another picture…

what model are we talking about @Steve_A ?

Hi Barry,
The forks are off a 1986 Le Mans 4, 1000cc.
Regards,
Steve A

I think you will find the cutouts in the aluminium block at the bottom of the damper lines up with the 6mm oil drain screw hole in the slider, so you can put slightly longer drain screws in permanently or just use a temporary longer bolt to stop things turning, take the first few threads off the screw so you don’t risk damaging the end screw threads when you tighten things up, otherwise you might damage the threads in the slider when you take the drain screws right out.
Hopefully that makes some king of sense :grimacing:

1 Like

That makes perfect sense - and very Italian!
Thanks for taking the time to message.
Regards, Steve A