Airone 250cc sport info needed

Hello,

This is an automated message from Moto Guzzi Club GB Forum to let you know that your account is no longer on hold after staff review.

You can now create new replies and topics again. Thank you for your patience.

Hi all,
Does anybody have any details on a 1953 Airone sport 250?
I am particularly looking for exploded views of the engine, gearbox, frame , wheels and forks.
Also wiring diagrams.
I am about to start a complete nut and bolt restoration on my Airone, that was purchased in quite a few large boxes.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Jef Walker

Hello Jef, welcome back to the forum. A good place to start is Gregory Bender’s This Old Tractor site Click here

Have fun! :upside_down_face:

Another great source of info on the Airone is the Google guzzi singles group. They are a fantastic source of knowledge on the older singles.
https://groups.google.com/g/guzzi-singles?pli=1

I did buy some english translations of some documents about the Falcone off ebay a while ago and have put them on dropbox to share so they may help you.

Hi, does anyone know anything about an Airone gearbox.
I have a problem selecting gears and cannot find neutral.
Just spent a long time rebuilding my bike and am reluctant to split the engine again.
Maybe there is no easy fix.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Jef Walker

Sorry, can’t help with much info. but I assume you are aware it is one up and 3 down.

Hi,
Yes I thought it was that way around.
It’s impossible to find neutral, and it seems I can only select one gear.
There is no oil in the engine yet, maybe some oil would help.

It can be very tricky to go through the gears on a stationary bike, try turning the final drive sprocket and the engine to help things line up in the box as you try and select a different gear.

Thanks Don, tried that many times but no joy.
Before removing the engine and splitting it, I’m going to try and start the engine and see if that works. But waiting to try and source some cylinder head studs because the ones I have are stripped. The joys of building old bikes!

I have no experience with the Airone, but when I rebuilt my Stornello, the box and selector mechanism had to be set to a specific position to get everything to work.
The other place to ask for info would be the Google Guzzi singles group.
https://groups.google.com/g/guzzi-singles

1 Like

Thanks again Don.
I will see if I can get some info from that group.

Hi Jef,
I’m not a regular on this forum, but I do have a 1955 Falcone Sport and I’ve built a little knowledge over the last few years. There’s also 3 other Falcones in Gloucestershire and we try to help each other out. As Don mentioned, the Guzzi Singles google group is a very good source of expert help. Also go to This Old Tractor where you’ll find a number of English translations of workshop manuals etc. I have no knowledge of Airones, but they look pretty similar. I see you are in Hereford - not far away. Please contact me if there’s anything I can help with.
Cheers,
Derek

Glawster, if you have a Falcone, you might be interested in some English translations of some manuals etc I bought off ebay, They are available in my dropbox account in a link further up this thread.

Hi Jef Are you familiar with these couple of websites that hold parts books, manuals etc for quite a few of the singles. Unfortunately they are all in Italian, but it might help you.

https://www.guzzitek.org/gb/accueil_gb.htm

http://www.rpw.it/Documentazione.htm

Hi Don,
I do have all those articles, which were given to me by Dave Thomas from Bristol. His friend is Laurie North who translated them. I passed them to Greg Bender and he put them up on This Old Tractor.
Cheers,
Derek

Thanks for all the info.
I have manuals in both Italian and English.

Hi Derek ,
Thanks for the info.
Maybe we could meet up sometime and swap info if you are not too far away.
Jef

Jef - sent you a pm.

Hi Derek,
Hope your run up to Yorkshire went without issue.
Do any of your Bacon slicer friends know anything about the Falcone/ Airone gearbox?
I have tried everything to get mine working, to no avail.
I am very hesitant to take the engine out and strip it again, that is my last option.

Thanks
Jef.