Another Airone in the UK

Hello Everybody,
I am happ to say that I am he proud owner of an Airone Sport which I have recently imported from Holland.
The bike is in unrestored condition. It is a runner but pretty loud. After getting it home I removed and cleand the carb, changed the oil and spark plug, and put in fresh fuel. It then started on the second kick.
I haven’t tried riding it as the clutch is seized. I knew this was the case when I bought it as the seller told me that when he put it away ( in 1999 ) he was having trouble changing gear. The adjuster in the clutch arm is at its fullest extent and the arm is fouling on the gear change rod. So that is definitely something to tackle immediately.

With regard to the sound level. I have never seen an Airone running except on Youtube, and I expected a gentle bop bop bop. The silencer was loose even though its clamp was done up fully, so I removed the silencer so that I could replace the clamp with a better one. I was surprised to see that the silencer was completely empty ! No baffling at all. Is this normal ?

I expect I will have more questions in the coming weeks/months.

Graham Hempshall and Mike Walker are useful contacts re singles tho neither currently use the forum…Italianmotor does however…am sure he and others will help…

Here’s some info that might help your clutch - it looks like it might be a bit of a bodger’s quick fix but is actually an intentional bit of clever design:
http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzi-singles-clutch-info.12097/

Thanks for the prompt replies. GuyKate, I presume you re the same GuyKate that appears on the Laverda Forum. Nice to see you here.
I bumped into Chris Hemshall at Stafford where I found him with his beautiful Seeley single. He gave me the tip about washing the clutch plates, but it’s good to see that info with all of the pictures. Thanks for that.

I made a short video of the bike running in my shed so that I could show people the external flywheel. You might find it amusing. You also get some idea of the sound although I don’t think the recording quality is very good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq3epl1k8dyaos8/First%20Start.MOV?dl=0

Hi

welcome to the land of singles!

I too have recently brought in an Aristorino which is oily rag condition having been on the same familly almost since new.

The exhaust note shouldn’t be too loud. I’ve bought various spares from Italy for it so can put you in touch with them if needed?

All best

Martin

quote=“Richardj”]Hello Everybody,
I am happ to say that I am he proud owner of an Airone Sport which I have recently imported from Holland.
The bike is in unrestored condition. It is a runner but pretty loud. After getting it home I removed and cleand the carb, changed the oil and spark plug, and put in fresh fuel. It then started on the second kick.
I haven’t tried riding it as the clutch is seized. I knew this was the case when I bought it as the seller told me that when he put it away ( in 1999 ) he was having trouble changing gear. The adjuster in the clutch arm is at its fullest extent and the arm is fouling on the gear change rod. So that is definitely something to tackle immediately.

With regard to the sound level. I have never seen an Airone running except on Youtube, and I expected a gentle bop bop bop. The silencer was loose even though its clamp was done up fully, so I removed the silencer so that I could replace the clamp with a better one. I was surprised to see that the silencer was completely empty ! No baffling at all. Is this normal ?

I expect I will have more questions in the coming weeks/months. [/quote]

Thanks Martin,
I spoke to Graham Helmshall last night, and he confirmed that there should be a baffle inside the silencer. We agreed that it should be easy enough to make a replacement. I would rather fix this silencer than buy a new one, as I am not intending to restore this bike to “as new” condition. I rather like the patina, and I intend to use the bike on the road.

Hi Richard,
I too have just acquired an Airone (from Belgium ) and like yours it has clutch problems, so if you have sorted yours out by now I would be pleased to know how you did it.

December 1945

A good explanation of how to wash the clutch can be found here:-

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/guzzi-singles/clutch$20wash/guzzi-singles/Lsjz45CEPrg/jpoNb9kO0mUJ

The Google Guzzi singles group is a good source of info for these bikes.

Hi Jack,
I didn’t need to do anything clever with the clutch. I “simply” dismantled it, cleaned all the plates and put it back together. There was a lot of old oil sticking the plates together, so it was hardly surprising that the plates weren’t disengaging when the clutch was pulled in. After rebuilding it I got full travel in the clutch arm too, so it no longer fouls on the gear change linkage.
Hope that all makes sense.

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get some carb spares (Dellorto SBF 22)? They’re pretty hard to come by so I gather. Needing a needle cone and seat and the correct size fibre washers to seal the remote float chamber to the body etc.

Thanks

Martin

Carb spares are available from Eurocarb: see http://www.dellorto.co.uk/

Any good for you?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Del-Orto-Rcf25-Carburetta-C1955-Ducati-Moto-Guzzi-Motorcycle-/182263028357?hash=item2a6fb91a85:g:X04AAOSw9IpXxx1d