Are FAG bearing OE? - 98 EV

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, BUT, are FAG bearings OE fitment for a 1998 Cali EV? For that is what I have found fitted in my EV’s swingarm?

I thought you would be more likely to find a FAG bearing in a BMW rather than an Italian motorcycle?

My bike is only showing 20,000mls and I can’t believe the swingarm bearings would fail after such a low mileage. Has the previous owner replaced them for some reason do you think?

Martin

I’ve heard recently that chassis parts sometimes get assembled ‘dry’ at Mandello.
If dealers subsequently miss greasing during servicing then early failure would be understandable.
I’ve got a wobbly front end at <walking speed, my suspicions lie in this direction.

Phil

I had various bearings on my 07 Bellagio that needed replacement at just 20,000 miles. Swing arm, suspension, wheel bearings and head bearings. Parts were not readily available from Guzzi and replaced by my dealer with appropriate matching items when the bike was just out of warranty!d15nel2013-10-06 07:02:57

If you have FAG bearings now then why are you worried? All the above problems were most likely caused by lack of lubrication though there have been isolated cases of poor quality bearings being ordered by the factory bean counters.

Any bearing that fits.with the right number on it is ok.the factory buys the cheapest at the time.always buy bearings from a bearing supplier and your seals.works out a lot cheaper

My thanks to everyone who replied I appreciate it.

and of course FAG are a premier brand so no worries there, make sure any replacements are branded by a known company. Dnt buy cheap bearings, likely to be Chinese or Taiwanese and made of plasticine…

lack of use also kills bearings, the grease dries up
i had to replace all the wheel bearings on my classic car shortly after buying it, they had been replaced about 8 years before but the car had covered nominal mileage
probably need doing again soon !!

Keep the swing arm bearings Greased well and whenever you take off the rear wheel check them, I have not had to change mine in 25 years and many many miles of ownership. BUT I have found the very worst thing a Guzzi can do is sit around not being used.

Crazy as it sounds a low mileage sat around in a shed bike is likely to cost more to put back on the road than a higher mileage used one.

The only year i laid up my V1000 over the Winter, due to me having a major operation and not being able to use it I had amore “Issues” the next Summer than i have ever had.

Brakes , wheel bearings,clutch and other tiny things that normally jut do not fail other than at their service interval

EDIT: “the grease dries up” - I remember that from my Bantam, but I think modern greases are much better now. Mine hadn’t moved for 8 years so was going to clean and regrease the s/arm bearings, until I saw what grease was already in there from before, was still like it had just come out of the tin. As to the original question, seems FAG are owned by Schaeffer - http://www.schaeffler.com/content.schaeffler.de/en/company/company.jsp Also check out ‘history’ at bottom of page. Seems quite reasonable MG should get their bearings from them according to this blurb anyway: http://www.schaeffler.com/content.schaeffler.de/en/company/brands/brands.jsp So I’m guessing they’re originals. HTH
Mike H2013-10-06 15:29:21

at one time buying bearing or seals was easy, just pop into your local bearing retailer or ring up a Guzzi spares company, but now with the vast range of internet suppliers it aint that simple anymore, checking just one internet firm today and they they stock about 10 different priced 6204RSH bearing for T3 etc wheel bearing, prices go from £2.69 up to £15.13, so do you buy the cheap ones or not?, the same applies to steering head bearing for T3’s, Cali Ev’s etc the 30205 bearing, one internet place has two types, one at £4.70 and one more than twice that at £11, do you want to fit the cheaper so called ‘Budget Range’ ones ? replacing the steering head bearing on a Cali EV is a much longer job than on the T3’s so do you not want to fit the better ones which should, on paper anyway, last longer than the budget ones?. I have used a bearing company just outside Wigan for years, they know, and I do remind them, that they are required for a motorcycle and therefor I require decent suitable items, no good buying cheap but poor bearing if that means doing the job again in six months.

northwest2013-10-06 21:44:37

A bearing supplier should get a decent bearing for you at about of the third of the price of Original fitment.

The problem is in these times that there are many “copy” bearings made in China that are difficult to discern against the real ones same as many other items including brake pads and clutches.

The copy ones are inferior and tend to fail early sometimes with catastrophic consequences. How do you know the real difference? I have had copy items masquerading as the real ones from a “known” source …

Beware of cheap items on e-bay and other places

[QUOTE=guzzibear] The problem is in these times that there are many “copy” bearings made in China that are difficult to discern against the real ones same as many other items including brake pads and clutches.
Â
The copy ones are inferior and tend to fail early sometimes with catastrophic consequences. How do you know the real difference? I have had copy items masquerading as the real ones from a “known” source …
Â
Beware of cheap items on e-bay and other places[/QUOTE]

I agree with this one for sure, so much counterfeit stuff out there now its hard to decide if somethings merely a bargain or a fake item…
the saying ‘if it seems too good to be true, then it probobaly is’ seems to be the best guide.

Going back to what I said. A bearing supplier.
Not E -bay,Gum tree etc.
Buy off your local guy.
Plus help keep him in business.

Fag bearing are not cheap.therfore as Brian said they are not origonal.My lil’Breva needed new front wheel bearing at 25k miles.Assembled dry in the factory.