Asking for code

Hello all, can anybody help me? I have just had my 2008 1200 Norge to bits for an oil seal on the gearbox to be replaced. At the same time I decided to get the front forks re-chromed with hard chrome and the rear shock rebuilt, so it has been in pieces for over a month.
Started putting everything back together, the battery has been on charge and got to the point of putting the battery back on. Turned the ignition key and after a short while the Moto Guzzi logo appeared in the display panel, then it asks me for my code, (not the service code, I think it must be the code for the keys, anyway that is the code I put in) As i said, put it in, and the dash lights up with clock etc and a warning triangle and SERVICE in the area where the odometer is. Spanner was showing too so I put in the service code, then reset the clock etc. Turned off the ignition and when I turned it back on I was asked for my code again. I am not yet able to run the engine, it is back in the frame, but that is about it, I was just connecting up the electrics to see everything was ok. Do I have to run the engine for the request for my code to stop showing? Is it just because the battery has been off for a while and everything has been stripped? Is there an easy fix. What is it?

You have a user code and a service code the user code the display askes for when you first turn on the ignition that was factory set as five zero’s the service code for the norge is 28315 I believe. let us know how you get on
Regards Keith

Thank you, I put in the code for my keys, it seemed to work in that it accepted it and then I got the usual dash display except for the word service in place of the mileage covered. Press the set button and it reverts to mileage. I have put the fuel tank on and she runs fine, a bit loud as the exhaust isn’t on yet, but only ran it for seconds. Will try the 00000 code and see what happens. Thank you.

Thank you, I put in the code for my keys which I think is something to do with the immobiliser, it seemed to work in that it accepted it and then I got the usual dash display except for the word service in place of the mileage covered. I will try putting in the service code again. I did it last time to get rid of the spanner image just below the temperature reading. If I press the set button it reverts to mileage, but then after a few seconds the word service appears agains. I have put the fuel tank on and she runs fine, a bit loud as the exhaust isn’t on yet, but only ran it for seconds. Will try the 00000 code and see what happens. Thank you.

Thanks Keith, just been in the garage again. I put in the code for my keys which I think is something to do with the immobiliser, and was put in by the dealer when I bought it second hand. I remember him asking me to make one up there and then, fortunately it was one I could remember. I have just tried the factory set code of 00000, and the display came up with ‘incorrect code’. Put in my code and it accepts it.
Once the code is in, the dash does its start up thing with needles whipping round etc, and once settled shows the usual warning lights and a red triangle warning light between the ABS light and Neutral light and shows a triangle and SERVICE in the place of the odometer. If I press the select button, the display will revert to the odometer only to revert to SERVICE after a few seconds. I have put the fuel tank on and she started up and ran fine, a bit loud as the exhaust isn’t on yet, but I only ran it for seconds. I have just entered the service code again (28315) turned off the ignition and when I turned it back on it asked me for the code again. When it asks for the code only that appears on the screen
So to summarise, when I go and turn the ignition on it asks me for a code, which I have and I am guessing that is the user code. Once I enter that it goes through its start up thing, and it starts on the button and runs. The question is why does it ask me for the user code now, after being in pieces for a few weeks? It never did before. Has anybody else had similar issues if they have laid one up for winter with the battery off? Has it just forgotten who I am? Once it is all back together, with the exhaust, new rear shock and re-chromed front forks etc, I will see about taking it for a run, unless somebody advises me other wise.

Hi Ajay, are all the sensors connected? If you have had the exhaust off and the Lambda sensor is disconnected it will tend to come up with Service on the screen until the sensor is connected.Cheers, Gerry.

Thanks Gerry, first time I tried it I think the Lambda sensor may not have been connected, but it is now and has been since possibly second attempt. But of course no gases are going past it as it is just resting on the bench with the connection made. Should be able to connect exhaust up tomorrow evening and see if that makes a difference. Will keep posting until cured.

Good news, problem found and fixed. First though thank you to all who offered advise, now i have to make an admission, I am a plank.
I maybe didn’t say that i had the top yolk off to re-grease the head bearings, which means disconnecting the big block connector and the smaller connector at the ends of wires from the ignition switch. The smaller connector has something to do with recognising the code from the ignition key. I had mixed up that connector with another which is the clutch lever switch. Many thanks to Bob from Moto Strada and everybody else who offered advice. I have marked them ready for next time. I never said I knew what I was doing, did I

He who has never made a mistake has never done anything

Glad it was something simple!