Basic Tuning Tips

Hi there,

Well my Guzzi is now a runner! Having stripped and rebuilt the carbs, it starts and idles OK (if a little too fast), but it won’t pull cleanly in any gear. There is loads of hesitation, and also some popping in the exhaust, even after switch -off. I’m thinking I need a professional set-up, but is there anything I can do straight away just to make it rideable?

Thanks.

The first thing is to go through the basics of setting the tappets, checking the timing and making sure it has a good supply of clean fresh fuel. Drain some into a jam jar and make sure you don’t have any water in the fuel. Try a decent set of new plugs, maybe new leads and caps if you think they may be causing the problem.
Have you set the carbs up right? Try winding the mixture screws in and out to see if you can get it running better. What is the plug colour like?
Where abouts are you? Maybe someone local can take a look at it or recommend a local mechanic that knows his way around an old Guzzi.

1 Like