Battery drained on California 1100i

Fitted heated jacket lead to my battery on my Cali 1100i and connected it to the jacket and after 150 miles battery was completely flat, any ideas why? And should I upgrade to a lithium battery?

how often are you running it and how long? my cali kept discharging battery even when using it 2 or 3 days week, i replaced the generator ring and reg/rec. and that fixed it. probably was only one of those needing replaced but I did both anyway

Only picked it up today but had been fine before
Incidentally whilst removing the leads for the heated jacket I noticed there were two leads connected to both + and - then found a third I’ve loose which looks as if it could only connect to the + but I have no idea where it comes from!! I guess could play a part in charging the battery whilst running

A quick initial test would be to start the bike up, put a voltmeter across the battery (Old needle type is best) and check the voltage. It should go up to around 14 Volts. Then plug your jacket in (and headlight if you ride with that on) & see how much the voltage drops. at cruising revs. If it drops to 12 volt or below, you are going to drain the battery.
Maybe fitting an LED headlight bulb would give you a bit of spare electrical capacity.
Not much point in fitting a lithium battery, it will still go flat if you are using more electric than the alternator is producing.

1 Like

Thanks, volt meter ordered so will be trying that when it arrives

1 Like

You may have a parasitic draw on the battery.

This video was useful in finding a problematic rectifier flattening the battery after 3 weeks

I would recommend a gel battery like Motobatt

1 Like

Thanks Steph I was thinking about getting one of those

Are these wires connected directly to the battery?

This third wire…what gauge is it? Where does it seem to go? Is it easily “followable”? Has it got a fuse in it?

I would bet that it’s probably for a battery tender.

Ah, the joys of prior PO “improvements”…you will probably find that it was disconnected for a reason.

Definitely loose wire that was missed when battery was re connected so I’m hoping this weekend no issues now all connected properly
Off to the dragon do kill or cure

These things can be quite handy if you’ve got room on the bars…

Lets you keep a beady on the electrical system when things get switched on/off and you can power/charge phones, satnavs, etc. .

1 Like