Best of lonely roads 2011

As the nights and weather close in, what follows is a variety of my photos and bikes both touring the Scottish Highlands and on day trips within Wales during 2011.

Harvey2011-12-01 22:11:58

The pass to Applecross.

\

On the beach at Applecross, though camping is now discouraged at this location.

The road back from Elgol, Skye

Remote Highlands, no traffic no phone signal - magic.

Ardvreck Castle.

Over the hill from Fort Augustus.

\

Glencoe in the rain.

En route to Braemor.

Harvey2011-12-01 22:15:55

Machynlleth to Llanidloes mountain road.

Llanuwchllyn to Trawsfynydd.

Penmaenpool.

Now I did these very roads this summer - I remember these very views, and they are beautiful… but I always forget to stop and take a picture - somehow I take in the view at what ever mph… think “that’s nice” see a nice bend… or think “I wonder what it is like further on” … and end up never stopping.

Adam

Is the piccie thing like the gps arguement.
I tend to rely on memory but should buy a camera sometime.

In the past I had a Fuji S series large zoom camera which was too big to go anywhere other than in one of the luggage boxes. I lost this camera at the Stafford show last year and replaced it with a Lumix FT1 which is a small compact camera, both waterproof and shockproof. It lives in my jacket pocket so I can stop and quickly take a photo, helmet on and engine running if necessary and so I have more readily available photo opportunities. The Fuji was a pain in this respect as it had to live in the top box and was not waterproof.

The Lumix is never going to compete with the quality of say, a DLSR, but for most situations, its reasonable enough.

Ian, I can understand your GPS reluctance but you have to get a camera. I do so many trips in the year that they would all blend into one if I didn`t take photos. My memory is perfect but we tend to go to lots of places and they all seem to run into the same trip in my head after 6 months. We go one further now. Once the winter nights start setting in we sit down and make books of our holidays. We use all our own photos and text and make them just for our own enjoyment. We use Bookksmart.com and we make excellent reminders of our trips. Steve

thats easy for you to say

I spent a total of 5 days riding aimlessly around wales this summer either side of the vtwin, should have been with a couple of mates but they blew out, turned out to be the best break I’v ever had. mo_biker2011-12-05 23:43:00

Got to say some of my best rides have been without time or destination (or mates!)Sometimes company is good but so is private reflection.

I toured Europe in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Not for a single shot to remember it by. The camera in the mobile phone has been the single best enhancement to my motorcycling in the last decade.

I love the pics, brilliant!

Great pictures. I know some of the Welsh back roads, but the Scottish views are inspiring.

Nice pics. To take the GPS/camera one step further, my camera has GPS built in. I spent ten days in Iceland, and once back there were a few spots we couldn’t place. By comparing the recorded co-ordinates, I could find out which end of the lay-by we were in when I took the pic!Oh, the camera is a Lumix TZ10, and as others have said above, so convenient for snaps, but quite flexible if you want to get creative.

Wonderful photos - I went over the Pass of The Cattle in 2000 and didn’t see it damn thing!!! Total mist out. :unamused:

Holy thread revival Batman!