Bevel box bearing removal

I want to replace the output seal in my bevel box. I think its been leaking, the box is covered in oil and its hard to tell where its come from so I may as well replace all seals and gaskets. Anyway, Im having trouble removing the bearing from the output shaft. Ive removed the wire circlip. Does it just need a bearing puller to get it off?

If you are on Facebook, go to the clubs group page and search for Bevel box rebuild, a member Alan Lake did a very good thorough write up of doing exactly this job.
It covers several posts, heres one

1 Like

Thanks for that. Ill look it up

Hi Steve, I did this job on my Breva last winter in my garage. This was the most difficult part of the job because (a) I didn’t have the special puller that the very clean-handed guy on YouTube had, and (b) the inner race is on very (x 5) tight. I put an ever-increasing range of spacers on the bolt heads, and prised the steel washer and the inner race off with 2 levers, a few mm at a time. That washer projecting below the bearing inner race surprisingly does not permanently bend when you put enough force on it to move the inner race up the shaft.

Refitting is easy - put the big lump in the freezer for an hour, heat the inner race gently, and the two slide together nicely. I don’t know if it makes any difference, but I used feeler gauges to measure the free play the lower washer has, then used the same feeler gauges as a spacer when refitting the bearing inner race.

Like you Steve I have a mk2 V50 and this was quite a tricky job that I really struggled with…I must have taken a 1000 photos of the bloody thing and couldn’t see the wire circlip for the life of me. Once I did it came off with a bit of force and went back together well. I was advised on all sorts of greases and additives (special BMW one) on another forum, to put it back together again, which I have yet to do.

I got this job done. It wasn’t as tricky as I expected. The bearing actually pulled off quite easily once I found a suitable puller. Its now back on the bike and filled with the correct amount of oil.

For anyone looking for help with this, look up the article in the May 2023 edition of Gambalunga, available on the club website.

2 Likes