Brake De-Linking - 1979 V50

I am in the process of de-linking the v50’s brakes as I am more used to a more conventional set up. The previous owner had got rid of the front master cylinder under the tank and put a Brembo PS12 (I think) handle bar mounted master cylinder in its place. This is likely to overpower the single disc so I am going the de-linked route and will be removing the solid copper brake line and putting a blanking plug in its place where it goes into the rear master cylinder.

My question is…should I also change the rear master cylinder to a smaller capacity type to avoid the solid foot brake I have read so much about when the brakes are de-linked? If so, some links or suggestions as to what master cylinders are suitable that will bolt in place using the standard mounts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Albeit a big-block I think mine is a PS12 for single front disc. You may have a problem making it work with 2 front discs, in that the lever travel may be too far and pull back to the grip. Which is an MOT fail (Guess how I know). So will need a different M/C.

I have a big block master cylinder for the front on my V50. Unsure what the code for that would be. It is set up to push more fluid for the bigger big block callipers and as such has little movement and feels quite wooden on this bike. I fit the softest pads I can get to kind of compensate.
All of which is a roundabout way of saying that maybe that master cylinder could cope OK with two small block callipers.

And having said that - I really don’t get de-linking? Linked brakes are like the best thing ever. Even better than ABS. You just tread the pedal and the bike sucks itself down on to the tarmac. No dive, no histrionics.

[quote="cyclobutch I really don’t get de-linking? Linked brakes are like the best thing ever. Even better than ABS. You just tread the pedal and the bike sucks itself down on to the tarmac. No dive, no histrionics.[/quote]
Totaly agree. The linked brakes have saved my life twice. Foot down hard and then both hands firmly on the bars to ster me to safety and stop in a very short time.
Dr John linked all 3 on his BOT racer so de linking is not a racer option.

Hi Mike

Correction, it is a PS13. Won’t know for sure until lines are filled with fluid I guess…hope I don’t need a new one as they’re quite expensive.

I hope you’re right that it will be okay…it felt okay for the brief two times I used the brakes. To be honest I wasn’t too bothered about de-linking them but as I need to dial in some compensation then thought this would be the best way of doing it. I guess I am just used to conventional setups and like to be able to modulate my own amount of rear brake without worrying about the effect it will have upon the front. I am sure it is a good system but for someone like me who does tend to use quite a bit of rear brake it’s probably just personal choice. Maybe the next Guzzi I get will keep them. :wink:

Pretty sure there’s no such thing as smaller calipers for the small-blocks? Just looked at some V50 pix, sure look like P08’s…

I beleive they are Brembo 05 calipers, the same baby Brembos that Ducati used on their Pantah

This is correct they are 05s.

compare your lemans calipers to my v35’s at the clocks forward Mike… mine are like miniature models of yours!

Well there ya go! Never knew that.Â