Brake disc bolts

I’m replacing the brake disc bolts on my le mans with stainless(m6 x15)…can anybody tell me if I need schnoor washers behind these as I cant remember if they were on it and cant find the old bolts! Thanks

Bear in mind not all stainless bolts are high shear strength, which you need for disc bolts, if you can find any Schnoor washers, let me know, seem to be made of unobtanium these days, probably worth coating bolt threads with some form of threadlock instead for peace of mind.Cheers, Gerry.

Demon Tweeks do them in a range of sizes, and at a price:http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/nuts-bolts-washers/speciality-fasteners-schnorr-safety-washersGoogle ‘Schnoor safety washers UK’ and you’ll find a fair few suppliers

I wouldn’t use stainless in this location. Normal A2 and A4 stainless bolts are not even as strong as 8.8 grade HT. When I replaced mine I used zinc plated 10.9 bolts and, in answer to your original question, there were no washers at all on the OEM bolts when I removed them but threadlock had been used at the factory.
I’ve had no problem at all getting Schnorr washers on ebay.gtmdriver2013-03-11 17:12:15

Would stick with the plated hi tensile to be safe
but there again the bolts only realy hold them on a lot of the torque is taken by the frictoion between the disc and its mounting boss , if i remember right (you never know one day i might) none of the bolts have register shanks on them for the disc they are all a clearance fit it the discs
I use those washer a lot and find them brilliant
by the way mine are 8MM nuts and bolts all the way through the hub not 6mm

I might be wrong but I thought mine had self-locking nuts?

There might be a reason for them making ‘special’ disc and caliper mounting bolts, and I used the schnorr washers but they kept me awake at night …sorry, I’ll go now.

they must be added after it left the factory
dont think guzzi knew what they were

[QUOTE=Ex smokingbiker] Would stick with the plated hi tensile to be safe
 but there again the bolts only realy hold them on a lot of the torque is taken by the frictoion between the disc and its mounting boss , if i remember right (you never know one day i might) none of the bolts have register shanks on them for the disc they are all a clearance fit it the discs
I use those washer a lot and find them brilliant
by the way mine are 8MM nuts and bolts all the way through the hub not 6mm[/QUOTE]

Sorry, meant to say they’re the bolts fixing the disc to its carrier and not the hub

[QUOTE=gtmdriver]

I wouldn’t use stainless in this location. Normal A2 and A4 stainless bolts are not even as strong as 8.8 grade HT. When I replaced mine I used zinc plated 10.9 bolts and, in answer to your original question, there were no washers at all on the OEM bolts when I removed them but threadlock had been used at the factory.
 I’ve had no problem at all getting Schnorr washers on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Thanks…Yes I remember the old bolts were 8.8. But I see Gutsibits selling bolts for this application in stainless? I’ll us the 8’8 as you say or 10.9 and threadlock. Might try and source the shnoor washers too as added peace of mind?

the name of the washers was puzzling me as somthing i did not reconise so been searching
The ones i have are NORD LOCK they are used as a pair not singulary

http://www.threadrive.co.uk/mrotools/nord-lock.asp

On my 1975 T3 Cali. The bolts 8.8 and the nuts are located by a long tab which looks like two M8 washers joined by an arced metal strip. Each end of the strip has a tab which bends up to locate on one face of the nut.Seen these on a few Guzzis but the tabs are fragile.Steve

Sean, I don’t know if this helps, but the replacement discs (MK1 LM) I got from Steine Dinse appear to have shnoor washers on the bolts that locate the discs to the carrier.
ReggieV2013-03-11 21:06:43

Ah! We’re talking at cross purposes. Again.