Breva 1100: Replacing oil filter

I have never bothered with filling the filter with oil before fitting. Sod’s law states that if you do you are bound to drop it during the fitting process. A smear of oil on the rubber seal is essential.Fortunately the B1100 etc filter is on the outside too.

For goodness sake, put it on dry (plus the essential smear of oil), run engine for a couple of mins. to get it circulating, stop, check dipstick, top-up as required. Sorted

What I meant, but put a little more bluntly.

[QUOTE=Mike H]

For goodness sake, put it on dry (plus the essential smear of oil), run engine for a couple of mins. to get it circulating, stop, check dipstick, top-up as required. Sorted [/QUOTE]Unless of course it’s one of the spine frame models, where the Guzzi factory Workshop Manual helpfully suggests:• Fill a new filter cartridge using the prescribed oil;• Position the gasket “C” on the new cartridge, afterhaving lubricated it with oil;• Fit the new cartridge in its special seat, tightening itby hand to avoid over-screwing.

Presumably the cartridge also fits face down?

Ah yes, but of course it’s fitted downside-up, (in Tonti-speak).

Thanks Johnno - I figured what with the Guzzi’s oil system and the location/fitting of the filter it could be removed as there’s not a sump’s worth of oil sitting there to be released.Yep, ensure seal correct size, smear of oil, install dry of oil and then tighten til just beyond finger tight. Never had one leak before, but this one did… Thanks again Gents.

Teellll y what the very first time I did an oil change on the V11 The trapdoor idea mesmerised me…Soooo I just undid it… OOOOOooooppppsssss it emptied the sump… real quick… y’ know the old joke? 'bout the monkey trying to put the plug back!!! that was me.

Why the heck i did not just undo the drain plus as per usual is beyond me!!! a bit of a dumb moment I guess.

Annie fell about “bet ya don’t do THAT again!” said She… how we laughed…afterwards… Dohhhhhh

Bought a replacement filter and spanner from Motomecca last year, “newer” bike has octagonal rather than hexagonal filter, apparently. Got home, opened filter box, hexagonal, checked filter on bike, hexagonal. Much gnashing of teeth, hex spanner sourced from local motor factor but keeping octagonal spanner since the next filter will be…who knows.G.

Next variety will be pentagonal.Why do they have to keep changing?

that was funny, im still gonna put oil in me filter

I keep forgetting youse guys don’t have main stands do you? So actually, checking the dipstick level gets complicated.

Bikes with centre stands, as common as bicycles with mudguards.

A tip here for tight gits like me… When I came to change the oil filter on my Griso I assumed the removal socket I once bought at great expense for my BM GS12 would fit… No way, although it fitted the recess, it had no chance of gripping the flats on the filter.
So I mixed some glass fibre body filler I had going spare, smeared it round the inside of the filter socket, then covered the glass fibre with cling film and pushed it up on to the filter where it stayed while the filler set.
I now have a perfect fit filter socket for my Guzzi…

Now if you had put clingfilm into the socket before filling with fibreglass you could have made umpteen different adapters ready for when they do bring out the pentagonal version.

Now why didn’t I think of that

I did the filter change with the oil still in the bike. Together with what was in the filter, the amount that came out of the bike was about 200ml. So ended up with just a wrist covered rather than a whole forearm.The filter I’d previously put on was indeed a Halfords HOF293. The length of the filter housing is the best part of an inch shorter than the usual Guzzi filters, the nut making up the remaining length. That reduced capacity was always a nagging doubt at the back of my mind.So, everything cleaned up and new filter in place tightened “just so”, lost oil replaced with fresh. Peace of mind restored.Except it leaked. So, back with the filter adapter to add 1/2 turn then out for a ride and a slight leak remained. What the heck, 3/4 turn added to the filter. No more leak (I think). So the original leak was probably all my fault, not tightening it up enough…but I’d had enough goes at tightening it to stop it seeping and dare not go much further with it. The smaller capacity was also a reason I wanted it off the bike if I’m honest.Guzzi inexperience on my behalf, normally finger tight has been enough before on my other vehicles and on top of that, the Halfords HOF293 is probably fine for the Guzzi too - based on the recommendations of others with greater experience than me. Thanks again.

I’ve always done them up “grip quite hard hand tight” rather than finger tight, but they can be adifficult to remove.The 'Mericans were complaining about filters coming loose (the ones inside the sump mainly, maybe they have weaker fingers?

That was eventually traced to a batch of duff filters that hadn’t been threaded correctly - they felt as if they were seating correctly but the body of the filter was proud of the sump. The filter either backed off by itself over time or oil pressure wasn’t maintained from the off.The end result was the same - torched mains and/or big ends.There was a case on here a few years ago.

guzzijack2013-04-27 20:15:29