Breva not starting - is it relay or something else

Hi All,

Breva 750 not starting when pressing starter button. Ignition relay makes one click, but nothing else happens.
There are no warning/fault lights on.

Checked fuse and battery connections and charged battery and still only getting one click from the ignition relay and nothing else.

The bike already has a fused wire from the battery to the relay as suggested on several places as a fix.

Can’t figure out any solution, please assist.

Thank you

Poxy valeo starter motor seized most likely
the piston thingy gets a bit of water in and corrodes
isolate the battery, undo the leads to the starter
undo the bolts and wiggle it out, remove the round end cap, and you will likely see a bit of corrosion
give it a good clean
and check that the piston that fires the start gear is also free to move
when fitted to cars, they never give any trouble, but on a motorcycle water gets in
also check the 20 amp fuse behind the left hand sidepanel, they often blow if the motor is starting to seize, also powers the fuel pump

To check the starter is working, bridge across the two large terminals on the back of the solenoid (on top of the starter motor) with something like an open end spanner. The motor should spin without engaging.
Next test is to take a length of wire and hold one end on the battery +ve terminal, & touch the other end onto the spade terminal on top of the starter motor solenoid. The motor should spin and engage.

Thanks. Do you have any photos or videos on this please as it’s all new to me :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you would be better contacting Tony Botto, as I recommended earlier
he would sort out the problem quickly and give your machine a good inspection, as its sounding as if it has been neglected
might be cheaper in the long run than messing about with it, and causing more damage

Hi rapheal_glynn and Don-Spada, thank you both for pointing me to the Starter. Found what the issue was - it was a loose connector just hanging at the tip of the pin on the Starter which was not very obvious. It just need a slight push and the Breva started first time. Thanks again. :+1:

1 Like

Also, as recommended, I will make a trip to see Tony Botto in the near future :+1:

1 Like