Buying a Nevada Classic

I recently tested a new (2013) Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. I found it to be comfortable and loved the handling. What I didn’t like was the lack of power. I also have a Triumph America which admittedly weighs probably 100 lbs more, but also has significantly more power, and I wanted a Guzzi that had similar power. Yes, I know I could have gone with a larger Guzzi, but I wanted the 750 for weight and handling.

Since I ride with groups that have larger engines and ride fairly aggressively I decided to buy a used MG and use the savings over a new bike to get more power out of the engine. I found a good little used Nevada on the internet and used the difference in price between a new V7 and my used Nevada to increase displacement to 850cc, clean up the heads and increase compression, blue print the heads, add a sump extender (for additional lubricant) add a power commander and dyno tune the engine. I’m looking for an increase from 38 RWHP to about 55 RWHP. And I’ll still have less invested than I would in a new V7 Stone.

My Nevada is presently in the shop of the engine builder and I hope to have it back in another week or two.

hi skromfols, I like the way you’re out there giving it a go but the consensus on the small block engine comes down to - it aint worth it. Tuning the top end is limited by the pushrods, overboring stresses the bottom end. Of course you may end up rewriting the book and good luck with it.

Phil

Or you could have saved yourself all that time and hassle, and just bought a used Bellagiolondonbill2014-02-09 17:46:14

Phil, I’m having the work done by a Mechanical Engineer who races Moto Guzzi’s and has been very successful. We discussed what was cost effective in the changes to meet my desire in power. I think we’re in a safe zone power wise, and the cost is still less than I would pay for a new V7.

And Bill, I’m not sure that they even import Bellagio’s to the USA. If they do I haven’t seen one yet.

ok, I missed the location tag. With the vigour, ingenuity and resources your lot are famous for then this project just got serious. We would love photos and updates.

What are you planning for the Nevada’s ‘cruiser’ stance? Or are you keeping it as a sleeper?

Phil

I’m not really trying to mess with anyone, so it’s not going to be a sleeper, and I’ll leave it as a cruiser. My riding buddies all know what I’m up to and why. I’d post a picture, however, I don’t know how to post pictures on this forum. As you can see by my number of posts, I’m pretty new to this forum.

And I forgot to mention that he’s eliminating the air box and going with pod filters, which compliment the after market slip on exhaust pipes that I’ve already added.

It should sound great in addition to running good.skromfols2014-02-09 20:35:04

ThaNKS for reply, Stan. Working on the breathing is a good place to start.

As for working the Forum, use the Reply button. It gives you more options and focusses the mind. Just fill in the prompt boxes first deleting the blue highlighted protocol stuff.
Go, buddy

Phil

Interesting take, Think I would have just gone for a Cali. Compared to the Harley it would do it all, better handling better ride comfort and far more power UNLESS they spend the dosh on the SS type motors.

Ken, I think you posted on the wrong thread. This has nothing to do with Harley’s.