Cam chain for 350 & 500 Guzzis

Hi,

As well as owning a Moto Guzzi Strada 1000 I also have a Laverda 650 Ghost. The issue that I and a number of other Laverda Zane twin owners have is that the Regina cam timing chain (type C107HC) is no longer available. It was pointed out to me that, in the Regina catalogue, the small block V twins use the same chain but with only 82 links. Is this information correct? And is there any problem getting hold of them? If there is, then perhaps if a number of small block owners were to join forces with the Laverda Zane twin owners and the older Laverda 500 model owners, we might be able to persuade Regina to manufacture some more of the C107HC chains, admittedly 3 variants of that would be needed because of the different number of links required but the basic chain is the same.
Would any members be interested? If so please contact me via this sites PM.

If the Regina catalogue information is incorrect and a C107HC chain is not used then please let me know as well. What do owners of these Guzzis use instead of Regina chains of the same size - IWIS maybe?

Perhaps some other models of bike use these Regina chains - Ducati?

Any info on this topic might be useful.

Thanks,
Charles

I’m no great expert on the small block motors, the small block chain appears to be a single row Regina chain. Out of stock at Gutsibits, looking like this

A Google search of Regina C107HC does suggest that both Laverda and Guzzi use the same. I would be surprised if it isn’t some standard chain format. Have you tried someone like “The Chain man”

Hi Don-spada,
Thanks for your reply and good to see that Guzzis do use this size chain - various non Guzzi owners are claiming that they only use duplex chains :confused:
The Chain Man has been contacted by others and apparently he states that they are no longer available and that Regina have stopped manufacture of that size. If we can get an idea of qtys then we might be able to persuade them of another manufaturer IWIS, DID for example to take on the process but I suspect that there will need to be an up front cost for tooling if others are to consider the manufature - I hope Regina still have their original tooling somewhere and thus it would negate the up front cost - perhaps I am too optimistic?

So a question for all Guzzi owbers whose models use this size of chain - How may bikes are out there?

Thanks again for your comments,
Charles

It was this link I used to confirm they are the same chain, pages 54 & 55. 114 links for a Laverda and 82 for the Guzzi.
https://www.hdcom.cz/storage/app/uploads/public/5d6/579/d15/5d6579d157010136567514.pdf

To be honest, the forum is fairly quiet with few members visiting nowadays. Sadly I would expect you would get a bigger response by asking the question on facebook. It seems to be the way of the world nowadays :frowning: .

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. The link that you sent me looks familiar and I am sure that they use the same chain but different number of links. Yes this forum is pretty quiet and you are probably correct - Facebook has taken over!! I do not use Facebook but I suspect that I will have to admit defeat as it seems all forums are defecting to it, gradually.
Thanks again,
Charles