Carbon Pick-up Brushes

Some of you may recall starter motors, drills and generators having replaceable brushes that were used to connect to the rotating coils.

A Stannah like an electric train runs on a track and has a live rail. The chair is driven by batteries and they are constantly charged via the live rail via a carbon brush set. Stannah is a closed shop. Stannah won’t sell parts to uncertified personnel and won’t have anything to do with ours because the serial number is not registered to my address (I got it free second hand, removed it from the registered address and installed it at home myself saving myself £2k and the family of the deceased £300 in removal costs to sell the house).

Do any of you gentlefolk with seasoned vehicles have a source for carbon brushes please? 1/8" x 3/16" x 3/4"lg or more

From a quick look, ebay has plenty for sale, just convert the sizes to metric and it looks like there are plenty of options.

As a stop gap, you could buy a carpenters pencil, the one with a lead that is rectangular in cross section, provided the lead cross section measures 1/8" x 3/16". Trim off the wood and rub the cross sectional measurements to size. If the cross section is too small, you could always glue two leads together and rub to size.

I used to use round lead pencil leads as a brush replacement for small electric motors.

Anyway, good luck with your search !!

I wanted some replacement brushes for an old Karcher, got fed up trying to find the correct ones.

So I bought something slightly bigger and carefully filed them down to the correct size.