carc breather valve

when refilling the Carc do you guys remove the breather valve. I have read a few posts that say they are prone to breaking. I did not bother but it took some time and patience to get the oil in.

I do it through the filler/level plug. That’s what it is there for.

Yes, I know that!!!

Sorry will rephrase the question. when refilling the Carc, through the filler cap, do you remove the CARC Vent as recommended in the manual?

The reason for asking is that there are reports of them breaking in the carc. so rather than risk a broken Carc I leave the vent in place and fill through the filler which is awkward as the air cannot escape easily.

Use the two pipe system
Get some windscreen washer pipe heat about 6 inches up and put a nice curve on it.
Stick it in the hole pointing up and fill up as normal.
use some bluetack to hold the end higher
The pipe acts as a breather so you can get the oil in.tonewuk2012-12-16 23:12:43

I use a Tom Thumb:

http://www.toolworks.com.au/stm-ca586-tom-thumb-oil-pumps-1-litre-bottle.html

I poke the pump into the oil container.

And I will rephrase my answer.I can’t see any reason to remove the vent, certainly I have never done so. The filler is quite large enough to pour oil in while leaving enough space for the air to escape, unless you are trying to fill it direct from a 5 litre container.
I even managed to fill it with that Shockproof stuff which is quite viscous to pour. Does quieten the CARC though. By the way, if you think it is time consuming to fill the CARC, try filling the sump on a Norge.
Brian UK2012-12-17 14:40:42

Puzzling to see how putting oil in the CARC under moderate hand pressure could break the vent unless it is very fragile or some garages use their pressure oil fillers. I use a large 250ml syringe as used by the NHS to inject horses (and complaining patients) with a bit of 6mm tubing, no problems with the air getting out.G.

What??? You can get your horse treated on the NHS?

From the manual:
THE UNIT MUST BE HOT WHEN THE OIL IS CHANGED AS UNDER SUCH CONDITIONS OIL IS
FLUID AND THEREFORE EASY TO DRAIN.
NOTE
RIDE SOME km (miles) TO WARM UP ENGINE OIL
· Place a container with + 400 cm³ (25 cu in) capacity under the drainage plug (3).
· Unscrew and remove the drainage plug (3).

• Unscrew and remove the breather cap (2).*
    · Drain the oil into the container; allow several minutes for oil to drain out completely.
    · Check and if necessary, replace the sealing washer of drainage plug (3).
    · Remove any metal scrap attached to the drainage plug (3) magnet.
    · Screw and tighten the drainage plug (3).
    · Pour new oil through the fill opening (1) until it reaches the cap/dipstick hole (1).

There are reports of people unscrewing the breather breaking it. so i never bothered to remove it but takes along time to fill trying to get the oil in. Not a problem just a pain.Almost2012-12-17 20:45:33

Yes, if said horse turns up with a national insurance number and his/her own pajamas. Cheers and Murky Crimble, Gerry.

I had the main seal in my carc fail in France, oil dripping onto the rear wheel rim and obviously down the side of the tyre. The oil seal is a large item and none found by a helpful dealer in France at the time. Contacted Boldrick in UK, he is very helpful. He found that BMW use a very similar seal. No luck tracking one down, however. So, I’m stuck with an oil leak that will make the bike unrideable. I sat and thought and removed the breather on the Carc, it was blocked with grit and oil. Easy to clean, replaced it and no oil leak. Happy days.