Circlip found in sump!

]Hi everyone
Would welcome ideas on this issue just done service on my 1200 2v sport, and found this circlip, below, poking out of the sump after draining oil, service was just plugs oil etc
thanks
Optimized-circlip.jpg

I was hoping it might be something other than a gungeon pin clip, but I fear it is, it is very dark and may have lived in the sump for some time !

Yes I am afraid it does look like a gudgeon pin circlip.

A Friday bike where Luigi dropped it into the casings whilst tipping the ash of his cigarette?

Jon

Hi all
having stripped to top of the engine I found all circlips in place, I would like to thank the lazy b_$"^&*~ for dropping it into the sump and leaving it, maybe I will find out at the guzzi open day
thanks all

That must ave been a nasty surprise…

Glad it was all well in the end.

Some not so sporting people when racing old sailing boats in close contact have been known to throw a shackle pin into the competition’s mainsail, which then slides down the sail and falls onto the deck. This can cause a lack on concentration with the crew looking up at all the blocks and fittings to see which shackle is about to fail. I have known this to slow a boat down enough to overtake them, but such behavior is not looked upon in a good light! :smiley: The extra circlip reminded me of this.

Another ploy was during a Thames sailing barge passage race from Pin Mill to the Thames, with all of the fleet becalmed in the Swin channel off the Essex coast. All of the barges were at anchor so as not to be washed back north down the Swin by the tide and in time darkness fell. One enterprising skipper got the crew to move the anchor chain from the windlass and lash it elsewhere, then start cranking the windlass handle, making a loud clank, clank, clank noise, audible to the rest of the fleet, but without raising the anchor. At the same time he got them to cover up the port and starboard red and green navigation lights and swap them over. Hearing and seeing this the other skippers assumed that the tide had turned and so got their crews on their own windlasses to haul up their anchors. The tide hadn’t turned and the sly skipper’s barge was still at anchor, but the rest of the fleet were being washed north by the tide back down the course. :smiley:

Who’d trust a sailor eh?