Clattering Start Relay - Convert

Mike, I’m fairly sure that calcium does just raise the gassing voltage, not the charging voltage required. An old friend of mine did a lot of research on this many years ago for his job at the time and this is the conclusion he came to.He was also one of the first to make a pulse charger, which are fairly common now. By the way, never forget that when the starter motor is initially connected, it is stationary, or stalled. Thus the initial current will be much higher than the off load 60Amps. When spinning the back EMF produced internally increases the resistance, thus reducing the current draw.
Brian UK2013-08-19 15:35:26

My 60A wasn’t off load, it was the equivalent of 0.7 horsepower at 9V, i.e. doing 0.7 hp worth of work, not just spinning in free air. You’re right though intial current surge will be high until the load is accelerated up, I used to have a spice model for a starter motor than shows it happening. Good news about the gassing Voltage, ta.

It all get far too technical really just go for the OEM WORKS !!!

Yes it’s getting too deep man …

I am sometimes reminded of the old adage

“If i HAVE to explain …you wouldn’t understand!”

No disrespect BUT sometimes “Cos it works best!” IS the only real answer.

I have tried most things on the V1000 which WAS built as a Convert and had a gearbox on it when It arrived into my custody… It’ll out live me I recon.

Some things work for a while and over time I find very often that when something does not go as it should OEM works.

UNLESS you want to throw ££££££ at it of course.

I was very pleased initially with the AGM Battery BUT when it started to fail me I COULD easily have gone down the panic…check everything, spend evenings going through the atart cct …then the Charging cct, testing the battery it SEEMED fine, but as Brian pointed out a couple of hard cold starts and only 15-17 mile run to work WITH lights in Autumn/Winter and there I was bump starting the damn thing.

THEN I threw the olderstyle battery into it…all good and we are both Happy again…really ONLY cos I know the bike and KNOW what should and shouldn’t be and saw that other guys had found the same… funnily enough it was they same style of process with the Roadrider Tyres.

EVERYONE seemed well happy to start …THEN came the odd handling I DO know someone who went through the

OMG must be …shox/wheel bearings swing arm bearings AAArrrgggh Frame…NOPE just the F****g tyres…

Sorry but sometimes things get far to techy and etherial when the simple answer is there…

Way back in 1988, as I watched my precious Guzzi V50II being loaded into a truck with a tear in my youthful eye, I would have given almost anything for the knowledge contained in this thread. I just couldn’t afford to have the electrics sorted out professionally. rbuxton2013-08-19 23:18:29

Well my V50II has just been resurrected after an extended layup, and bar a couple of bad joints all the electrics work fine. Handlebar switches included. The extended version of that one Ken -For those who understand the situation, no explanation is necessary, for those who don’t, none is possible.
Brian UK2013-08-19 23:25:08