Club Photographic Archive

I decided to start here rather than in the club section
following a recent trip to France, along with Ian Dunmore, and a few others, I visited the C.W.W.G.C. visitor centre, in Arras ( paid for by the fines laid out to cheating bankers) I took along some very old and rare family documents relating to the Great War
These have now been scanned up and exist in their archives for future generations to study
I occurred to me that a fire, a funeral, a tidy up could lose a vital segment of history and now its safe

So excuse me for preambling, but I am about to replace my very old worn out computer, and it is likely that many images and things will be lost ( especially tax forms !!)

Now over the years I have taken some snaps ( I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination) of various members and machines at club meets and events

So should we have an Archive where these images can be stored after weeding out the ugly ones like Ian and Me !!, names recorded and locations
and perhaps machines ?

imagine in ten years time, a new club member buys a machine, a request could go in and they might find images of the owner and the machine as it was ?

I guess it would need some sort of category, faces , places, meets dates etc

so does this sound like a good idea
regards Russell

2 Likes

Great Idea Russell, where would the archive be stored and who would administer it? Storage space is cheap these days and there could be capacity on the club’s website, but you will have to ask the new webmaster/mistress when one steps up to fill the role.

Then the tricky question of who would do the day to day admin. there are three posts on the committee vacant already as far as I am aware. So to find another person give their time free of charge to organise the archive and upload all of the photos might be difficult.

But it is a good idea. Nice to hear that Ian is still crossing boarders on two wheels! :+1:

1 Like

I have to drop the old goat in it
he was driven in a nice car, what with him being so old and all that !!
I think he enjoyed the exercise
odd that it was me that was ready to hit the floor !!!

I am really not so good with computers, , it would need a younger person maybe with media skills to plan it out
I just feel an archive could be very useful later on
my friend is running one for our local Constabulary, but even though many of the images are only 30 years old, its been hard putting names to faces
I scanned up a mass of them for a retired copper, and it brought lots of memories back
and when media companies do research they contact the archives

I also have copies of magazine road tests and articles
now I gather that even though many of these no longer exist copyright applies, however I could type up a list and load it
then if some one wants a copy I could download it direct to them
so much nicer when a youngster joins the club and gets the back history of a machine

1 Like

The idea of an Archive has been ‘floating around’ for years, but the stumbling block in the past was a. a volunteer and b. the technical possibility. With the new website, we now would have the means to make it possible, that leaves the volunteer…

Cheers Uki

2 Likes

I am going to be undergoing Chemo for some time, and I am frankly a bit rubbish at computers and often press the wrong buttons
so I would be the worse person to do it
what would be nice, is if somebody had a family member doing media studies who could take it on as part of their prospectus ?
win win

1 Like

I hope chemo isn’t going to be too bad for you, (I recently helped my daughter through it). Keeping my fingers crossed and wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers Uki

They said that because I have never smoked or drunk, and very fit, and generally pretty handsome !!
the treatment wlil be quicker and more rigorous rather than dragged out
I have also agreed and signed up to the national research scheme so my samples also go off for testing elsewhere
this will hopefully help others
they reckon 100 percent

in a way its nice I have spent my entire life working and worrying about other people
I have now disposed of most of my tools
, just need to sell my 8 foot tall robot
and I can spend time in my garage working on my classic car

1 Like