Clutch protection

Sure this must be covered elsewhere but any suggestions on how to prevent the clutch mechanism being covered in crud on a 2022 v7 stone?

The method I have seen shared a few times isn’t particularly ‘model specific’ and is best actioned when you have the back wheel off.

Long story short, you just put a ‘mud flap’ on the inside (engine side) of the rear wheel area.

Materials employed are usually a bit of flexi rubber/plastic - like a section of lorry inner tube. Cable ties or similar to secure. Bit of a doddle with the rear wheel out and silencers off. Even more of a doddle if you’re the lucky one who has the bike up on a hydraulic bench. Whilst you’re in that situation, take time to thoroughly de-crud and suitably lubricate the clutch mech and operating area, and (for good measure) the gear-change linkages too.

HTH

3 Likes

There are “fender extender” type products available. Many owners make a DIY mudflap from rubber matting and attach it to cover the area.

1 Like

What on earth is a gender extender? My mind is working overtime!!!

1 Like

+1, I got a cheap mudflap for small motorbikes off eBay, cut to required shape/size with scissors, attached to front of rear mudguard with 2 cable ties. There is a slot on each side of the plastic mudguard, for 2 screws or bolts, that had plenty of free gap for the ties. I think it’s down between tyre and swingarm. HTH.

2 Likes

Thanks all, cheap flap was perfect, had precut holes that exactly matched up with holes on the bike. Local bike dealer, Saltire, charged me £2 as they had had it laying around so long it wasn’t on their computer system!

4 Likes

Thanks see message below. Perfect :grinning:

I’m a big fan of mud flaps, as above, but am also considering enclosing the pivot end of the lever arm on the back of the gearbox in a clutch arm boot from a Honda car and then packing it with gease for extra slippiness. It’ll be a swinging arm out job but should do the job.

2 Likes