Collapsed wheel bearing - Stuck in Derby!

Hi Guzzisti,
Anyone near Derby that might have a stock of front bearings compatible with 1200 Norge??
I rode from just west of Glasgow yesterday to Oxfordshire and then up to Derby this morning for meetings. On the Fosse way the front end made a horrendous noise with some equally unnerving sensations through the front end. Metal flake from the front at standstill showed that the bearings had given out in spectacular fashion. Teased it up to Derby where Local RE dealer confirmed suspicions but could not help and recommended recovery ride home… I’m open to that but it doesnt look good to the household as its happened before.
Just reaching out as you never know who’s out there in the great Midlands yonder.
CM

2 Likes

They will be standard bearings available from any engineering supplies shop. They are probably 60052RS, but don’t take my word on that.
It looks like it also has a seal kit to go with the bearings

1 Like

Thank you! Will be calling them first thing.

1 Like

Don is correct. They are 6005 2RS Bearings.

1 Like

Arnolds Motorcycles in Leicester is a Guzzi dealer and they’re very good people.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to pick up a pair of dust seals, they will be 47mm outer, 25mm inner. Not sure on the thickness, they are available in 6 to 10mm. Take your old ones along if you have them out.

1 Like

@GodBotherer drop me a message if you still need help I’m based in Derby.

3 Likes

Oh wow. A good place to have a problem on a Guzzi! Thank you.
Bearings purchased from Derby Bearings (5 minute walk from where I have set camp) and now about to retrieve bike and get it to Racing Lines with everything crossed I can get it there! Got the bike secure last night at Derby City Mission. 2.2 miles or so.
Thank you Chairman, I hope not to have to be in touch but we’ll soon see.

3 Likes

All sorted!
£70 all in. Sincere thanks all :pray::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Glad you’re sorted.
Worth every penny of the membership👍

2 Likes

@guzzibrat - Literally! :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:

Crikey! In my 55 years riding I have never known wheel bearing failure on a bike. Usually a routine check for bearing roughness and grumbles at tyre change+ brake service+ shaft lube time. Failed hubs, yes.

What mileage was this at?

PS. Glad you are sorted.

1 Like

@Stoneman , Yes it was a shocker. I was most suprised by the lack of forewarning and have been playing back in my head anything that I had felt but then moved beyond in terms of feedback but there isnt anything really. It had passed its MOT the week before.
28K on the clock. I had the front bearings go on my Cali but that was at 64K and most of the trouble/symptoms in that case was down to a worn hub creating a little play between bearing race and the hub wall.
The no-notice fail was a bit scary but all’s well that ends well.

2 Likes

Just occurred to me that some of these bearings need quite a heavy preload. Any shortage or timidity in torqueing up can cause premature failure.