Crash Helmets

There doesn’t seem to be a crash helmet thread on the forum, so I’ve kicked off this one.

Always aware that the perfect fit, quiet, lightweight helmet on one man’s or woman’s head might be utterly uncomfortable, noisy and unbearable on another, and there are clearly preferences for full face, open face and modular/flip front helmets, with or without graphics, intercoms, French reflective stickers, and all the other opitions…

And Sharp ratings, ECE 22.05 being replaced by 22.06, ACU, DOT, whatever other certifications, etc.

My trusty Shoei Air2 is getting on for six years old, and is due for replacement.

I inclined towards a flip-front but have never owned one, and would be interested in the experiences of anyone who does currently use one.

Does the added weight make much difference?

Do you ever ride round with the chin bar up?

Do you walk around with the helmet on and chin bar up?

Is it noisier than a FF equivalent?

Intercom pre-fitted or self-fitted? Work ok?

I guess, fundamentally, is the convenience actually worth the extra cost and complexity?

Grateful for some experiences

No so I noticed.

When weather was very hot, yes.

Oh yes. Not having to take it off just to be able to talk to someone normally is extremely handy.

Not so I noticed.

Instruments of Satan, have never used. :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks Mike, going to have to try one!

Schuberth C5

No

Only in car parks and petrol stations where I find the increased field of view helpful

Yes, being able to keep it on while paying for fuel is useful

Quieter as it fits more snug around the neck.

Pre-fitted so limited to one expensive choice

I guess, fundamentally, is the convenience actually worth the extra cost and complexity?
Yes

My experience of the Shoei Neo-Tec is similar: not conscious of any extra weight; it is if anything quieter because of the snugger neck.

The flip-up is a boon if you wear glasses and, post-Covid masks, means you can keep the helmet on in petrol stations.

I fitted a Cardo intercom to mine without much trouble (I prefer the sound quality and voice activation).

Brian

1 Like

I’m on my second flip front helmet, a Schuberth C3 Pro. The first was an HJC one but the C3 fits better, is quieter and generally a much better helmet.

I also have a Shoei Neotech full face, which is slightly lighter but it doesn’t have an internal sun visor so that is probably why.

I can’t honestly say that the full face is quieter than the flip front but the flip front is definitely more comfortable and the convenience of being able to flip up the chin bar when fuelling, talking to somebody or for whatever reason is the winner for me.

1 Like

I’ve asked the same question on three fora. It seems that nearly everyone who has replied has a flip-front and likes it.

There are some “I’ve had one and don’t like it” replies but only a few.

Looks like I’m going to have to go to the shops. I won’t buy a helmet on line.

Thanks
Simon

I’ve had a Caberg for a while now - works fine.

Definitely go to your local bike shop and try on as many as possible.

We’ve all got different shaped heads - mine is obviously Schuberth and Shoei shaped, but Arai or AVG were a hopeless fit.

I have 3 shoei helmets: J cruise open (same shape as Neo but with a bigger hole!), Ryd full and Neotec 2 flip. The Ryd (with no integral dark visor) is the lightest, and noticeably so. However, the neo 2 is my go-to. It is dual rated for visor down and up (it locks into both down and up - look on chin strap for rating, not all flips are dual rated) so very useful when I want the extra vision/coolness or when cycle road race marshalling - room for my whistle!. Sena coms expensive but integral and very neat. As others have already stated: you need to know that you have a Shoei shaped head!

1 Like

My understanding is that generally flip up helmets are quieter, because they can only be put on with it open. So the fit around the neck is tighter. I have a Schuberth C4. Convenient opening it when talking to people. Personally, I’d never go back to a full face.
Although a helmet may be quiet in a test, it doesn’t mean it will be quiet on different bikes, if I stand up while riding my BMW 1150GS, the world goes very quiet, a bit noisier when sat behind the screen.

1 Like

I use an open face helmet, but have just bought a 180deg flip over helmet to gain the best of both worlds?
My initial impressions (not riden with it on yet.) It fits well and is comforable. In the open position it has cheek bars which offer more protection than my open face . It came with a pinlock insert so shouldn’t fog up. It has a wide visor so good all.round vision. It has a sun visor.
My open face has a sun visor. It is lighter. It has full all round vision. It is probably stronger. I can breathe and smell the countryside.

In the modular 180 deg helmet I look like a lollipop!

Will I overcome the visual comedy, I don’t know.

1 Like

I’ve had Schuberth C3 basic, an LS2 flip front I can’t remember the name of and Schuberth C4 pro (all schuberths are flip fronts)

If I was buying one now I would go for a schuberth C5. The c3 was great, simple but effective vent design, quiet (C4 quieter), very comfortable.

The c4 I still use but it’s let down by poor ventilation which means fogging at low speeds, meaning constantly having to crack the visor open to clear it. Not good if raining. Also is very tight on the face when new, and when worn in still not as comfy as the c3 was. C4 has a better field of view than the C3 but overall I preferred the C3, even though for long trips having music/Comms in C4 is great.

The c3 Comms kit is terrible, i didn’t buy it but know someone who has one. The c4 Comms kit is ok, does the job but you need to update the software to get the best out of it.

Tried a c5 in a shop recently and the vents seem very much improved on C4, I’ve read reviews of comms kit and it seems a big improvement on C4 kit which is based on a basic Sena model.

The LS2 still gets used occasionally (it’s a spare for pillions mostly) and the rare time I’ve used it is been fine, just a little louder than the schuberths which are fairly quiet.

I have ridden flip front up in town or on quiet back roads when it’s very hot weather but usually don’t, none of mine are certified for using flipped up but it’s not really an issue at low speed. I think the C5 might be legal to use flipped up, can’t remember if it had a locking mechanism for the up position.

I would add as others have said, flip front is so useful and gets used so often I can’t imagine using a fixed full face again. I’d use an open face for summer but the convenience of flip front for anything other than very hot weather, full weather protection but not having to remove it for fuel stops or conversations, means it’s the best design for me.

Thanks guys. Appreciate you taking the time to post your experiences & opinions

Cheers
Simon

I’ve always had a flip up and found it useful as previous comments, but my friends got I think it’s a shark helmet where it flips all the way back to become an open face helmet not sure how good that is tho

I’ve been using Shark flip face helmets for 6 years. They are comfortable either as a full face or open face for all riding conditions as tested as both a full and open face lid.
So useful especially touring. Motorways and fast roads full. Sunny Lakeside pottering open :grin::hugs:

1 Like