Crush washers

Folks,
I’m going to make new crush washers for the rear drive drain/level plugs, is there a good reason they are aluminium rather than copper?.
Expansion factor?, unlikely I would have thought. Perhaps the aluminium ones seal at a lower torque setting thereby minimising the chance of stripping a thread?. I think I would prefer copper, easily re-anealed and used again.
Alan.

Probobly ali is cheaper.
It also corrodes in road salt.
I also now use doughty washers.iandunmore2012-11-01 10:20:49

Hi Bison, I’ve been replacing all my crush washers with Dowty washers. No problems with leaks and re-usable. Cheers Davy P

Yes. Dowty washers are my choice too. Obtainable in small quantities on ebay as well.

[QUOTE=bison] Folks,
I’m going to make new crush washers for the rear drive drain/level plugs, is there a good reason they are aluminium rather than copper?.
Expansion factor?, unlikely I would have thought. Perhaps the aluminium ones seal at a lower torque setting thereby minimising the chance of stripping a thread?. I think I would prefer copper, easily re-anealed and used again.
Alan.[/QUOTE]

Why make them !,i know they are silly money from Guzzi but get on ebay all the alloy washers for guzzi are there just put in the size . I think mine came from Northern Ireland .Alloy are reuseable ,trouble is people will over tighten and then distort the washers. I notice that even car makers are now using alloy washers instead of copper ones on brake lines ect. OR you could use Dowty sealing washers ,i have BUT personaly i prefare alloy any day.

The Alloy are cheaper QED but in brake ccts they WILL corrode, for brakes on the bikes copper everytime the other stuff the seal washers are great.

I would use Dowty washers for drain plugs, you just put them back on, no need for annealing etc.

What are the washers with a helical diamond pattern engraved in? Think they are of Swiss or German origin, damned hard to find.G.

Schnorr safety washers? The big sizes appear to to readily available from several fastener supplies - the smaller ones you associate with Guzzi applications not so much.http://www.schnorr.com/docs/safetywashers.pdf

I get mine from local fastners supplier no problem they are far better then a spring lock washer.

Morning Folks,
I decided to go for the Dowty washers, very cheap and easily available.
Thanks,
Alan.

Copper expands more than alloy when heated, so will end up with a small gap and leak. Guess how I found out

Having said that, BMW R twins use copper crush washers BUT are rolled into like circular tubes, these always work, maybe because the tube like construction makes them slightly springy? Dunno really

Those I tried on the Spada were just flat plain washers (like you would use for brake unions, as GB advised, I concur), didn’t work.

Well they did first time engine was run, but not subsequent occasions.

What size dowty seals can be used on the drain plugs for the Breva?
Tried the 1/8 bsp dowty seem a small…
wits

What the hell is a dowty washer, am I the only one who has never heard of them.

Dowt it

My mechanic sez that they are not crush washers, they are sealing washers, as used on banjo fittings. This why they are aluminium.

Dowty washers are like tap washers - metal outside with ‘rubber’ inside bit.

Can’t see what’s wrong with copper meself…

I got mine from motomecca, didn’t seem expensive.

They come in all metric sizes too.