Dingo oil and petrol

Hello.
I recently bought a Moto Guzzi Dingo Supersport, and was wondering what two stroke oil and petrol I should be using in it? Is there a specific oil I should use or will any oil do? should I use normal petrol or petrol with no ethanol in it? What should be the ratio of oil to petrol for pre-mix?
Sincerely Kai.

I’ve not had a pre-mix two stroke since 1978, when garage forecourts had a pump to add a shot or two!
From what I have read on Bantam forums etc, modern two stroke oil is a lot more efficient and you don’t need the same ratio that was used years ago. I would look for a modern two stroke oil and follow the guidelines on the bottle.

1 Like

There’s endless discussions about this subject on the Bantam forums I use. Yes, do use a 2-stroke oil, not just engine oil. Modern 2-stroke oils burn cleaner (more environmently friendly don’t you know.) One tidbit I picked up is DO NOT reduce the oil mix unless you are absolutely sure that the oil will lubricate the engine properly at the smaller quantity. So to be on the safe side, use a basic 2-stroke oil and make it not more than 25:1 (petrol:oil). If running in, increase the oil amount, e.g. 20:1. That’s usually it for early Bantams. Some 2-stroke oils may allow up to 32:1, but as I say I would start at 25:1 (unless running in a rebuilt engine with new piston and bore, then 20:1), and see how it goes. I don’t think ethanol content will make any difference. Some Bantam owners put a bit of paraffin in to make the petrol more like what it was back in the 1950’s. HTH

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I’ll start with 25:1 and tweak it from there.