Drastic Solution

Some weeks ago I reported problems with my 2005 Nevada - would not run on a steady throttle - coughing and spluttering from cold. I took advice and changed the LAMBDA sensor £183 !), which didn’t help.
The bike was trailered up to Moto Strada, who couldn’t find the problem (after two weeks), but thought it might be the voltage regulator - more “suck it and see” expence. They did however agree to take the Nevada in PX for a 750 Breva, which I brought home last Monday and which seems to run OK.
From reading other members problems recorded on this forum, it seems that mine is not an unusual experience and Guzzi is not to be regarded as reliable. I hope I’m proved wrong!
Cheers. Alan

Well after over 200,000 miles on a Guzzi it has only ever been trailered home for punctures and a couple of times I bitched a repair and kinda left it cos it (seemed to work) none were drastic.

I would have thought they should have found the problem a cold engine can take a wee while to warm and come off the “choke” cycle. Inj engines will suffer from el cheapo supermarket fuel and as many do I pop some injection cleaner thro the V11 Le Mans once a year.

Many problems , not all, but alot are down to mtce problems of some kind. Now and again it is just bad luck OR a factory problem BUT an 05 bike should have been well sorted by now. Bad running on our bikes has recently, been soley down to crap in the fuel on the bikes and the cars AND with the works vehicles and THEY are diesel

Hope I can manage to get to 200K on this Breva mate! I’m too long in the tooth to waste time sorting problems - I need a bike which does what it’s supposed to do, subject to proper maintenance and a bit of TLC.
The Nevada was my first experience of fuel injection after 60 years of carb’s and I’ll certainly do as you suggest with the injection cleaner once a year.
I did try the more expensive Vplus Shell unleaded in the Nevada, but it made no difference.
Cheers. Alan

Dunno about the 750’s but it does make a difference in the V11 Le Mans 30% more miles per tank full but the fuel from Shell/BP/Texaco/Total /Esso is noticably better than the supermarket fuel, the supermarket stuff makes the V11 cough even Annies 535 carb virago does not do as many mpg on supermarket rubbish.

Thing is FI has to do a similar job as in it vapourises fuel , ON a carb bike you would notice the coughing and clean out the carbs. the FI you can’t easily get at so additives are the only real world solution.

I had to clean out the Virago carbs due to crap fuel the rubbish in the float bowl had to be seen to be believed and THAT bike has 2 filters on it, a kind of red colour substance, fine sand, and what looked like flakes of black paint 'till it dried and i found it was flakes of rubber from fuel hose… ethanol eating it oh thank you mr oil company. So fuel lines replaced, filters replaced , gaskets and “o” rings in carbs replaced and all was well.

I would bet it was a fuel problem with the Nevada and a good clean will more than likely sort it out.

I know that “fine red sand” stuff!

750 Nevada I had the problem of the engine surging and the bike became up rideable in a few days,
Trailered to deeler for repair, thay said petrol pick up pipe in tank had split. Moving forward two years bike cut out at tick over and was transported back home, drained tank and removed to the bench to work on, removed fuel pump plate from under tank (difficult to wangle out but dues come) to find the pipe had come of the spigot. Layout is a petrol pipe comes from the pump to an inline filter, from the filter to a connector on the plate that bolts to the tank. The pump puts out 3bar 45psi can split week pipes or blow the fuel pipe of spigot. Worth a chech whilst winter tinkering.

[QUOTE=Coops]Some weeks ago I reported problems with my 2005 Nevada - would not run on a steady throttle - coughing and spluttering from cold. I took advice and changed the LAMBDA sensor £183 !), which didn’t help.
The bike was trailered up to Moto Strada, who couldn’t find the problem (after two weeks), but thought it might be the voltage regulator - more “suck it and see” expence. They did however agree to take the Nevada in PX for a 750 Breva, which I brought home last Monday and which seems to run OK.
From reading other members problems recorded on this forum, it seems that mine is not an unusual experience and Guzzi is not to be regarded as reliable. I hope I’m proved wrong!
Cheers. Alan[/QUOTE]
Talk to Finebeau Forge about their Lambda senser fooler.It makes the engine far sweeter at low revs and the bike much more fun.I should say that I haven’t tried Daves version but have a home made similar thingee made by a friend who is not in the business which is brilliant.

I use a FatDuc on my V7 which I think has improved start up and running on a steady throttle setting, but that’s only my impression. Exhaust still pops on overrun but that doesn’t bother me; quite fun actually!