Engine Cutting Out

Hi any body got any ideas? Started the bike on the drive and was putting on my gloves and helmet and the engine cut out. Restarted it, it ran for a few minutes then it cut out again. Restarted, and it seemed to have settled. Then as I was manouvering the bike on the drive, the dash flickered a couple of times, and the engine cut out again followed by a cough/splutter. Repeated the exercise a couple of times until it ran OK. However, I bottled out of going out on it as I have lost all confidence in the machine.
No warnings on the dash. The last time it did this I had to be recovered by the RAC and the dash had an ECU Disconnect warning. The dealer changed the battery on that occasion as it started okay using a starter pack when it was recovered to them. I think this is the same issue and is something in the Can Bus circuit. Anybody got any thoughts?

dirty fuel can do that too

Side stand switch ? I have had side stand switch problems problems on 3 previous bikes all different makes. Just had a centre stand switch issue on my Suzuki Burgman 650 and I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a centre stand switch. Don’t know what the arrangement is on the 85TT but it’s usually a pin that the stand lets pop out when you flick the stand up. These often stick.

2 Likes

Also might be worth giggleing the fuses in and out incase there is a bad connection. The hand book will tell you where they are. I have a V85TT myself and can’t actually remember where they are. Possibly under the seat ?

Oh and also remove, lube and tighten the battery connections

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Last time it did this it wouldn’t start at all and I had to be recovered. I also got the Alarm Warning ‘CAN ECU DISCONNECTED’ which indicates a lack of signal to/from the instrument cluster to/from the ECU. The dealer decided that as it restarted okay using their starter pack, the problem was a duff battery.
I personally believe that the battery had suffered as a result of repeated attempts to start the engine.
One new battery later, and one re-occurrence of the initial problem, this time it is deciding to just cut out. Interesting is that every time it does the instrument cluster flickers, but todate I’ve had no Alarm warnings displayed

Just a thought…One possibility, and it would tick all your boxes, is dirty connectors, particularly on the power or ground, causing the dash ECU to reset. That would likely bring down the engine controller, too, but that might be crashing as well. If none of the previous posted suggestions work, it’d be an idea to disconnect every electrical connector you can find and reconnect them after spraying ACF50 inside the shells. We’ve had a lot of success on one of our branch Grisos doing this.

1 Like

I drove a nearly new (1 year old) lorry and the fitters came out one night and had to get it going and used a portable jump starter, the electronics were never right after that.

I had the same Canbus error message on the dash the day after I collected the bike and washed it (2nd hand but only a couple of hundred miles on the clock). The next morning I had the error, no Speedo and the clock lit up like a Christmas tree.

Upon phoning the dealer and speaking to the mechanic, he suggested disconnecting the battery, waiting 20 mins and hooking it up again. Apparently, this forces a reboot of the ECU and clears a host of error messages. It worked and since that time I’ve not had any issues.

I now cover the dash with a plastic bag whenever I wash the bike, even though I only use a garden hose on ‘sprinkle’ and hand wash it. The dash doesn’t seem to be particularly well sealed against the elements which is poor for a modern bike. I’ve since fitted a Dart Marlin screen to the V7 which helps protect it, but if you’ve a TT85 you already have that.

1 Like

LH switch assembly on mine, finally replaced under warranty. Worth taking the cover and checking that the wires aren’t pinched.

Thanks for all the advice and info. I think my issue is due to water ingress of the Cruise Control switch, as it seems to have started the day after I last washed it!
I have invested in a spray can of expensive electrical switch cleaner and have given the LH switch gear a good blast. I can report that there have been no further occurrences of the problem since.
I propose, over the winter months to systematically go through the CAN BUS system and make sure all the connections and earths are good.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem I think. The bike when on tickover at traffic lights for example, will almost stall and then recover with a quick increase of revs, at other times will stall. Restarting is usually ok, but after its last wash it did not want to run at all. Left overnight (to dry out?) it restarted and ran fine - no problem.
Something is not right for sure and I think it is linked to water ingress. Still under warranty, so I will be taking it in.

An update on the stalling problem. The bike was recovered under warranty to Downed Bikes and Scooters. They completed valve clearances and ECU upgrade that should have been done on the first service and then took the bike on 2 long test rides before returning it to me. I have been out on one test rides and no problem is apparent now. Downend Bikes and Scooters were really excellent and come highly recommended as an official dealer.

1 Like

A Further update - the problem reoccurred and the bike was again collected and taken to Downend Bikes. They had it a long time waiting for some new intake parts, but that did not do the trick. They then contacted Piaggio for advice and made some adjustments and all appears to be well. The tick-over has increased when cold by about 500rpm, and the tick-over when hot is very slightly higher, but no longer fluctuates much at all - nice and steady. It may be my imagination but I would swear that the bike is performing better as well - better acceleration and torque and seems much better at speed on the motorway with more in reserve.
Good job!

I thought it was a recovery firm for bikes lost to enemy fire! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It felt like it for a while until it was resolved! HaHa!