Falcone Tourismo 1960 oil leaks and vibration.

Hi lads, My Tourismo has been blowing oil out of joints/unions despite several attempts to contain it. The engine is in good condition so it isn’t poor faces etc. One leak is from the ends of the kickstart shaft. It seems as though there is crankcase pressure forcing oil from everywhere, particularly from the rocker box end. Is there any sort of engine breather built into the engine as standard ?? or should I fit one ?

Secondly I have a vibration from about 1000 rpm which doesn’t clear untill 3000+, I have no rev counter so these are a guess. It makes the fuel tank rattle and when parked on the stand the bike will move backwards if the engine is revved up, several inches. I have clocked the outer rim of the flywheel and it has 0.15mm (0.006" ) run out and the side run out is 0.05mm( 0.002" ) is that enough to cause it and is there a tolerance figure?
Apart from that she is fine. Thanks for any advice given. Barry

Well after putting on the lift and really looking closely I can see a leak from the top of the push rod tube. I have looked at most places I know but no-one shows any of the seals, any suggestions ? I also found the breather ball/screw on top of the gearbox. there is just a ball about 8mm dia. under a slotted head screw with plenty of clearance above the ball., should there be a spring? come on lads I have to get this ready for the Singles Rally soon.

Probably a question best asked in the Google Guzzi Singles group. There is far more knowledge on the falcones in that group.
https://groups.google.com/g/guzzi-singles

Not helpful, but it reminded me, my Meriden Bonneville could also creep backwards on its mainstand when idling – that wasn’t a fixable fault tho… that’s how they were… :astonished:

1 Like

Is the push rod seal just an O ring or more complex? O rings can be bought from seal shops in an infinite range of sizes. I would recommend using ones made from Viton rather than nitrile as it copes with heat far better.

Thanks Don, it appears to be like a stepped ring, I have now sourced one via Hempo who has told me to check for the head casting not being porous.
More testing today…

1 Like

I am told its not uncommon because the piston is trying to push it backwards. I was concerned that the vibration when being ridden was the same problem. perhaps it isn’t.

1 Like

Hiya. Did you ever get to the bottom of your oil leaks(s)? I have - just - acquired a Turismo which also leaks so I’d like to track down from where. I know about the vent by the chain & sprocket but it’s more than that. Did 100 miles on it yesterday and it dripped on a mate’s yard when I got back. Not a huge amount but I’d like to make get it sorted. Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob, I sorted the top of the pushrod seal which cured the oil at the front of the engine but the one under the gearbox persisted. I eventually discovered that it was coming from either end of the kickstart shaft. I put a endoscope through it and it was coming from the crankcase joint. All the bolts were tight and there was no apparent damage to the faces. I made a counterbore tool and machined a 2mm deep recess for an oil seal around the shaft. It has worked at the flywheel side but still weeps on the gearchange side but greatly reduced. Until such time in the future when I need to strip the engine I wont know what is causing it. Apart from that its fine althogh its a sod to start when its hot.

Thanks for that Barry. Not been in here in a little while, so apologies for delay in replying - been busy riding! I’m just in the process of laying the bike up for winter which reminded me about this thread. I’ll leave it until the Spring now - a nice coating of oil will keep the corrosion at bay - but will certainly investigate the kickstart shaft and pushrod seal.