Finally happened.

Hi. I am no big techie by a long stretch but this technology is already decades old. Now available on a number of four wheeled vehicles here.

I saw it first easily 30yrs ago I’d guess on General Motors vehicles in the US which they called ‘Onstar’. I’d imagine that these days this is a pretty cheap addition to any vehicle’s electronic suite and compared to some of the questionably useful ‘extras’ like blind spot monitors and lane keeper warnings should be a no cost addition or even mandatory like ABS. It really is a huge potential life saver especially considering motorcyclists penchant for heading out to remote destinations and especially well off road. (Yeah I am aware that off roading often includes get offs as part of the challenge or fun so maybe ability to temporarily limit during those forays?)

Hope you mend fast and wishing you all the best.

1 Like

Thank you, each day a little better :+1:

1 Like

Glad you are on the mend.

I too use a Caberg Duke 2,great fit and reasonable price.

1 Like

Aye, they’re a good unit. Recommended to a friend some years ago (also a Guzzi chap) and he likes his, too.

I’ll add my best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery. Tales like this do get me wondering about whether I would benefit from an Advanced motorcycle course. I am in my mid 70s and have a few bikes inc a Breva 1200. I have definitely slowed down since my younger days and have always had a bike. I met a chap a few years ago at our local Bike Meet and he was considering doing the advanced course. Fast forward to the present day and he’s now a Blood Bike volunteer and he can’t speak highly enough about the course. He says his riding skills have improved immensely even though he thought he was a decent rider beforehand. I guess he’s in his mid 60s. I must admit I keep thinking about enrolling and joining but I haven’t got round to it as yet. Unfortunate tales like the above may convince me to give it a go.

2 Likes

We certainly don’t bounce as well as we used to in our earlier years!

I’d consider the IAM course, too, may do that, however as I go over recent rides I’m thinking, “was I getting too laissez faire? Should I have been more in the moment? “ things like that.

I know I’ve overcooked a corner or two and got away with it, as I think we mostly all do, how this experience will impact my riding once I get back on a bike I’m unsure. Time will tell, however I think I may be a bit slower, less inclined to press on unless all the stars align, that sort of thing. Not going to become ‘boring’ just maybe a little steadier. (I haven’t been a tear-arse for years!)

Cheers,

Jeff

Glad you’re on the mend, a good plug for the Caburg helmets. Would consider one next time I’m buying a new helmet.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your Misadventure and wishing you a speedy recovery.

As well as an MG Tonti, my modern (ish) bike is a 900 TDM.

It simply does just about everything well. Touring 2 up in the Alps, commuting,scratching, going to the shops. Some suspension changes needed for the first one and a factory centre stand.

I can find little motivation to change this for anything else. It’s relatively light, has a narrow profile, great brakes and a compact and adequately powerful and charachterful engine.

Hopefully you will get yours back on the road soon.

All the best!

2 Likes

Thank you, I agree with you in your opinion, it is a good allrounder. Not a Guzzi, but a dependable second string.

1 Like

Couldn’t recommend an Advanced Rider course more highly. Whether it’s Institute of Advanced Motorists, Rospa or Bikesafe. The IAM course is very good and can be taken at a pace that is convenient. I thought my riding was pretty good having done a Honda Access course some years prior, I am pleased to say I became far more observant and as a result smoother which only goes to show that every day is a school day. Plenty of social rides, club nights as well. Progression to further training such as National observer etc.
Ride safe.

2 Likes

hi Jeff - The California would have just ploughed through the wall and you would have wiped the debris from the Screen ! - joking apart - big bikes - cold / damp sports bike tyres and greasy white lines coupled with embedded street furniture ( cats eyes ) are a serious issue this time of year, my BMW K1200s could be a pain in these situations, I remember joining a dual carriage way and having to dart over one carriageway first to avoid oncoming traffic then lean right and straighten out quickly to merge with the traffic in the direction I was hoping to travel, my rear tyre kicked out as soon as the throttle was opened ( hashed, give way line and lots of gravel & leaves ) frightening, with the bike weaving from side to side , some of which was due to me trying to instantly correct the slide and the imbalance caused by shutting off power / chopping the throttle instantly …certainly focuses the brain. Fortunately It ended ok for me, I got control back - but it could have been easily “rubber up” !

A lightweight Trail bike is often the best kit for this time of year - my old Kawasaki KE 175 was a delight to ride in winter and I often wish I still owned it

Get better soon though

2 Likes

This sounds like a letter to Gambalunga, to share the info as widely as possible.

1 Like

I’m an Arai fan myself, love the quality feel and currently have four, but doubt they (or any other) would be any more sympathetic.

I simply buy em when they’re on offer, I reckon it’s as good as you can hope for.. (whatever brand you fancy).

Are January Sales still a thing.?

1 Like

Wow, so glad you are basically alright and your clot has now disappeared? Your story reminds me of Nigel Mansell, who lost the Monaco Grand Prix when he spun into the wall whilst accelerating and had a rear wheel on the white lines. If he can do it, anyone can. I do not understand why the road markers cannot add some grit to the white paint, or something similar, to address this concern.

2 Likes

I can absolutely recommend the IAM course. It totally changed my relationship with the bike for the better, though I quit before taking the test for reasons I won’t bore anyone with.

I’m the best rider I’ve ever been, though getting to 65 with no motorcycle training of any kind is a pretty low starting point! That’s what happens for some of us oldies from many moons ago …

In my case, I’d never felt the need to get any training but when I bought my Breva (first Guzzi) there was just something about it that made me say to myself after my first ride on it “I need to become a better bike rider”. So glad I did.

3 Likes