Finally happened.

On the 3rd November 2025 I did something I’d avoided since 1987, I crashed my motorcycle.

I got ready that morning in armoured bike pants and jacket, with waterproof overtrousers, gloves and boots with scuff guards and my Caberg Duke 2 helmet, my 6th since I converted to them in 2004. Always liked them. Here’s why.

Always a good, snug fit for me, particularly as I wear glasses (the internal sunvisor is a great asset too), good weather resistance in all conditions, ventilation is functional, convenient for using a hydration pack when touring with the chinpiece raised and quite light for a composite helmet. Not much wind noise, although more recently I’ve been using in-ear phones to listen to music as I ride on longer days. Cost effective, too. Just a well designed and functional helmet.

This unhappy event was after about 200 miles of riding that day, wet roads, leaf litter, mud, standing water and very windy, I’d coped with them all, due to the conditions thankfully I was only going around 50mph.

Essentially as we left a bend on a country road I indicated out and began to overtake the car ahead. After that it all went into blurry fast-forward. I believe my rear wheel spun on the white centreline as I accelerated, next thing I realise I’m crashing. Once at a halt (I wasn’t knocked out – another testimony to the helmet) I carefully assessed things. Blood in my mouth, but I can move my jaw. Vision blurred. Neck carefully moved, OK, probably no cervical spine damage to be overly worried about. Ahead of me I could see the drystone wall. I’d hit it pretty much straight on with the chin/visor of the helmet. Visor torn mostly off, but it did its job. Tried to unclip the chinpiece release but one side was jammed, unsurprisingly as I saw the helmet later. The driver who I’d been about to pass had stopped and with my approval we unclipped the chinstrap quick buckle and gently removed the helmet.

A note to explain my caution but progressive assuredness in doing this; many years ago I was a staff nurse in orthopaedics and also worked in A&E, so I was checking myself all the time I was doing this, main concern was that nothing impeded my airway.

Once able to move I gradually got to my feet. Painful but everything seemed to work – after a fashion!

Shortly thereafter I was taken to the hospital by paramedics. Had to cut off my overtrousers, my jacket was torn and scuffed in a few places but the body armour and, crucially, my Caberg had saved me from much worse injuries. Had I not been wearing it my facial injuries (spectacles pushed back by the visor, but not even a broken nose) and more internal damage could have killed me. I do have a small blood clot between the hemispheres of my brain, but 50mph-0mph? I’m so lucky not to have far worse damage. Even my neck withstood the impact, aching, but not broken. That’s the benefit of a helmet which does its designed job and spreads the impact force. The chinpiece is split up the front, but it did dislodge a head-sized rock from the wall!

Injuries are a fracture to the right hip, two broken ribs and the small bleed, with a collection of other soft tissue injuries. I’m now in rehabilitation to walk again and the pain is decreasing.

The swelling, bruising and grazes on my face have mainly died down as these were not extensive. Again, a huge thanks to Caberg for keeping me safe in this vital area.

I’ll ride again once healed, I’m only 62, still more to do and see. I’ll need a new jacket (although I do have an old spare), bike pants are mainly fine, so are the boots, as for the helmet? Only one option for me, another Caberg. You don’t change what is proven to work!

Jeff

9 Likes

Wow. Glad to hear you’re on the mend.

there’s a lot to be said for ATTGAT, and a good quality, properly fitting helmet must be up there at the top of the list.

Is there any advice you’d share to help those of us who do more modest mileages from avoiding your bad luck?

1 Like

Thank you Simon, appreciate it.

Well, avoiding headbutting drystone walls at any speed is a good start, can firmly recommend that.

Hm. I’m unsure, really, my tendency is to ride the smaller, more interesting roads, often at lower speeds, even if long distance touring, although we all have those roads that draw us in (the A7 is like that for me for example).

I reckon that trying to remain within your effective braking distance, reading the road (and other users where possible) keeping an eye on the road surface and definitely having a well maintained bike, those all help immensely.

This was a lapse I think. Too much throttle on an already wet road, long dashed line exiting the corner, lack of friction and exit stage left.

I’m glad, in one respect, it was on my TDM900 rather than the California. It’ll be expensive enough for parts, but the poor Cali would have broken my heart if it’d been beaten up.

“I’m immortal!” (well… so far…) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You only have to watch TV programmes that deal with emergency responders to realise the dangers of motorbiking and how crucial it is to wear the best gear that you can afford! I’m very glad that you’re okay. Take care and ride again when fully recovered :motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle:

1 Like

Hi, came across your post this morning and took me back to 2009. Too many of us sadly have these stories of the effects of a split second mishap, for want of a better word. Out of the blue and nothing to do with bad judgement or carelessness or inexperience. If you ride long enough the odds go up it’s in your karma.

At that time I was coming up on 30yrs as a Crit Care/Trauma nurse and 40yrs of riding. Specialty was Neurosurgery. A long, long way from ignorance or denial of what can happen on the road.

Just last month I had to sit through an online speed awareness course to ‘re-educate’ me on why we have speed limits. (46 in a 40 through road works 11 o’clock at night in a hire van. M6) Needed that like a hole in the head but humbly accepted to avoid the points. I am pretty sure you can relate. Afterwards they ask you to relate/consider what you learned? Answer? Sadly nothing new honestly. Be good and don’t get caught? I promise you that is not arrogance either.

Sounds like upfront yours was significantly more damaging than mine having had the misfortune to come to a sudden stop arguing with a stone wall. That’ll get you every time!

Mine happened on a Texas back road near a small place called Blanco. I came off on the INSIDE of an unchallenging left hand curve with, fortunately for me, a nice flat area of gravel run off. Bone dry conditions, no other vehicle in sight and I was in no particular hurry. Been running 50-60 mph max. To this day I still have no idea what happened? The State Trooper who attended could not come up with an explanation either and these guys can read a scene pretty damn well.

I was certainly knocked out briefly but was up walking around when he arrived trying to comprehend what the hell happened? Nice scrape on the back of my Shoei and some road rash under my ruined Rukka two piece.

I will not bore you with the rest except to include the craniotomy I needed 10-12 weeks later to evacuate a chronic sub dural haematoma that had not shown on two prior CT scans. (Remember I spent a goodly part of my life looking at brain scans and I saw both of these and it was not there.)

If there is any moral to this at all or point in waffling about it, take nothing for granted or at face value? ATGATT 100% Luck? Cuts both ways. Lessons? Sometimes there is not a damn thing you can do except stay off the roads and quit riding. NOT happening!

I was 58 back then, now 73 and still on two wheels.

Try explaining that to a non biker? My own view is if you are afraid of life or just totally risk averse why even get out of bed in the morning? You can mitigate your risk to a significant degree but you cannot ever eliminate it.

Surviving to do it again is a wonderful way of showing two fingers to life! :rofl:

6 Likes

Thank you, yes, you’re absolutely on the nose there. The longer the time, the further the miles, two things are apparent.

The first is that we (hopefully) improve. Hazard perception increases, riding skills also, and hopefully that 6th sense that is elusive yet we know exists.

Secondly, the potential that at some point we will test the patience of the ‘God of Off’ and be caught out.

It’s the 2 bucket scenario. You begin riding with the experience bucket empty and the luck bucket full. The trick is to fill the experience one before the luck one empties, and you can’t simply pour one into the other!

Glad to hear you’re still riding, I’m assessing things daily, slight improvements are still improvements, see what things are like when I’m out of hospital and able to try slinging a leg across a saddle. :+1:

1 Like

Still in hospital huh? Good luck with graduating from there asap!

I know after my experience it took the first few months probably to kind of get the full mojo back. Banishing a bit of ‘looking over your shoulder’ all the time waiting for the unexpected but it passes. We are still here. Still defiant! LOL Take care.

3 Likes

Hi Jeff, just read the string above. It sounds like you were lucky and I’m sure everyone who reads this wishes you well. It also sounds like you are hugely experienced and a careful rider. However you were taken by surprise due to circumstances you didn’t expect.

I assume you TDM did not have traction control.

If it did, would it have made a difference to the outcome of your “surprise”?

Maybe yes?

if so your accident would have been avoided and all would be well.

It just makes me think of the often stated “nanny systems” being introduced to modern motorcycles as being unnecessary costly gimmicks.

If one accident is prevented, perhaps they are not.

Just a thought,

All the best, Phil

4 Likes

Evening Phil, no, analogue as they come, not even ABS. Not a clue if fancy electronics would have saved me, moot point really. Part of the experience of riding (for a dinosaur like me) is reacting to input; that slight change in camber, the transition from (usually worn these days) Shellgrip to bare tarmac, the buffeting of a sidewind. Fully realise that this scenario was one I didn’t (or couldn’t) react swiftly enough to, just unsure of the feedback that automated devices would have contributed really.

The California certainly has no such fripperies and I think it’s all the better for it. Even the revcounter hasn’t worked in years, not required, just change up once your teeth begin to rattle :sob:

I look in horror at the seemingly ceaseless ‘features’ on things like that BMW 1300GS, plot lost as far as I’m concerned, however each to their own.

I’m even considering replacing the TDM with something like a 750 Breva or other light, small block for purity of ride (and having a 2nd Guzzi!)

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance but what the cuss does “TDM” mean :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2006 TDM900 Yamaha, my other bike, rather than the 1995 Moto Guzzi California 1100i that I also have :+1::grin:

1 Like

I kinda agree that sometimes all the electronic aids in the world will not prevent an off. Abs the most useful I’d say. That aside I imagine you will have had little opportunity to really assess the damage to the bike? The cracks in yourself being way more the priority.

In a sense, I got lucky in that my insurance simply gave me a generous write off. I think mainly due to bodywork damage and hard bags and handlebars? It was a 2007 Kawasaki Concours or GTR as known in UK. Interestingly I later became aware there had been a recall for a few failed rear brake master cylinder. The piston rod sat vertical and apparently could catch road grit or foreign material and cause it to jam. Often wondered if that might have been the culprit? If I had touched the brakes as the corner approached and it kicked the back end out unexpectedly. Though dry roads at the time I had ridden close to 200 miles that morning through heavy rain and the panniers were well loaded. During that morning downpour I passed two convoys of 5 or 6 gravel trucks. Big suckers and not an uncommon sight in that part of Texas.

I’ll never know and I had a nice extremely fair cheque in my pocket so no point in pursuing it. Maybe you get lucky and avoid having to put it back together? An older bike though so maybe not such a good write off offer? Wish you luck with that! D

True, Phil, one of the great imponderables.

Lots of “if, could, maybe “ and so on. Ultimately, it happened, I can still talk about it, it wasn’t any worse than it had the potential to be.

Unfortunately I’ll not be claiming for this one, to keep the premium low (I’m currently on Universal Credit) I added a voluntary £500 excess to the standard £250, so it’d be pointless.

Thankfully I’m fairly competent at spannering, less thankfully, fairing and bodywork parts are getting costly.

I’ll work something out. :+1:

1 Like

Mmm I feel for you and not unfamiliar with being ‘skint’ and operating within a budget.

The upside if there is one, you got something to keep you busy in the off season!

Lotsa luck in sourcing parts. btw some time ago I took a punt at a complete bodywork kit from an outfit called ?? something like Lion or Lyon parts?? Made in China which gave me pause but when I got it was totally impressed with quality and fit. Got it to rejuvenate my ZX14 Kwak. which was over 10yrs old. If I can track down the website will pass it on. Plenty to keep you occupied while recuperating/healing!

6 Likes

Nice job on the Kwak, yes, any info would be appreciated.

I think the tank will fill and respray, the rear end is almost untouched, mainly just the front fairing and ‘side pods’. I’ll assess it better once I’m out of hospital and mobile, see if it reverts to stock, or some aftermarket fairings. Shame, as it was a quite clean and standard bike.

Had a quick look and not sure where I got ‘Lion’ from??? Anyway it was ‘King Motorcycle Fairings’

Full body kits less than 500 quid. Sadly did not see your particular bike listed. I suspect however there are likely more China sourced options around? Anyways, good luck with the search! D

1 Like

Ah thanks Phil, much appreciated, yeah it’s a bit of a niche bike, still a fair few around and quite popular amongst those who have them, they’re a fair all rounder.

Unfortunately s/h prices for the plastics are pretty high. Still, no rush I suppose.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have read this thread and the comments on technology.

Have a look at the attached (I hope) item re the bikes SOS alert facility—–Amazing.

2 Likes

Maybe you thought of the “Lion King”…popular with the grandkids and don’t I know :rofl:

2 Likes

At least I have my Gambalunga to read and think about next Spring…

1 Like