Fitting a new Givi topbox onto my V7 Special.

This is my first time using this forum and wanted to run a problem I have by it. I have a new V7 Special and tried fitting My Givi monokey Top Box to my universal monokey Givi base plate today but the box will not latch onto the baseplate. I was wondering if anyone had ever had a similar experience.

May be obvious suggestions already tried.

Does the top box latch in at the front on the two lug/catches and the “pointy pyramid” lines up at the back/rear?

is the “pointy pyramid” the right way round?

I have a V7 850 Special but I can’t visualise the problem. Can you post a photo? What are you using as the rack?

Thanks for getting back Brian & Mike. in frustration this morning I took the baseplate of bike rack and took it back to Sportsbike in Leeds. They agreed it was VERY difficult to latch on and took it back, should get a new one in the post in the next couple of days. You would think that a Give top case and a Givi base plate would be a good fit, but not in this case.

1 Like

Ah so it’s a fault with the box and the base.

My question still stands, because I’m curious, what is the rear rack?

It is a Guzzi rack fitted by the Guzzi dealer in Thirsk. I actually sent an email to Givi today detailing the problem and to my surprise got a reply from Italy in half an hour, got to take a bit a video now and send it to them.

1 Like

On reflection I should have got a Givi rack fitted, looked at the Guzzi top boxes and thought they were a bit expensive.

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering, I noticed Givi make a rack.

So do Kappa , they’re same company but cheaper than Givi ! same part numbers except kappa’s starts with a K instead of a G !

Replacement base plate arrived, same as other one, cannot fit my Givi box onto it. Back to leeds Wednesday. Thanks Derek, I will take a look at Kappa.

Hi, I don’t wish to teach you to suck eggs but are you ordering the correct base plate for your top box. As far as I am aware Givi make two systems, namely the Monokey system and the Monolock system. They use different base plates and the Top boxes are not intechangeable between them. Cheers
Phil

I have two V7 850 stones both with the plastic monkey bases mounted on a Givi carrier. All three of my monkey boxes fit easily on either bike. Have you tried a different Givi box to make sure the problem is not with the latch on yours ?

I have a Givi Monokey top box and a Givi Monokey UNIVERSAL plate fitted on a Guzzi rack, looks like the problem to me is the universal monokey plate which does actually fit quite nicely on the rack. They are both going back to Sportsbike on Wednesday and I’ll see what they say. Watch this space.

1 Like

Oh good, all sorted. Had a good reply from Mario in Italy who is a Givi rep, looking at his last sentence this is obviously a problem that has surfaced before. Thanks to everyone who
replied. By removing the two rear grommets on the base plate it did the job, previously I had tried removing all 4 grommets which didn’t work. I thought I would copy and paste his reply for interest as follows.
This problem stems from the fact that the coupling between the plate and top case is very precise. You have two solutions: you can give support to the plate in the coupling area which we see flexes a lot, the rack is not GIVI from what I see. Put a hand under the plate or even better, something that will not allow the plate to flex. Alternatively you can remove the two rear grommets at the plate and use the topcase with two grommets instead of 4 for a period, I would say at least a thousand miles. That way the top box will fit the plate and you can remount the two grommets you had removed. With this expedient, all customers have solved.

3 Likes