Footfall in the forum

A good idea Nigel if it is not too much hassle for you. It would be interesting to see how many are actually coming through the door.

I joined facebook last year, but still look in here.

There is a lot there not to enjoy for sure, and a lot of it seems to be regurgitated politically naive utterances of the basest kind.

Hell, the moderators even caught me trying to introduce a bit of Brexit jocularity into a stolen bike posting the other day.

Got to admire someone who can find jocularity in Brexit

They should have that bloke covering it on the telly, Noel Edmunds, Deal or no Deal :smiley:

OK Iā€™ll get my hatā€¦

Thanks for the vote of confidence, certainly not entirely deserved. Quite right that Bob is the Somerset rep though.

I have not been around that much recently, but am one of the ones who does not do Facebook. Have been quite busy recently as well, including servicing my Le Mans completely on my own for the first time recently. Took me a whole day and I havenā€™t even done the air filter yet. Made a cods of the valve clearances initially. I was struggling to find TDC. On the Norge it seems to be quite easy to find just by sticking something into the plug hole and feeling , but this didnā€™t seem to work on the Le Mans. Later I realised that it was easier to find the mark on the flywheel (which is difficult to get to on the Norge), but by then I had put the left hand side well out. What I managed to do was set the clearances with the other end of the rocker not in contact with the pushrod, so the whole plot was floating and banging about. Sounded dreadful when I started it up. Fortunately no damage and have managed to get it right now. Anyone else ever done anything similar? ā€¦. Anyone?.. No?. OK I will get me coat.

Jim

PS just booked with Pete Morcombe for the French camp thing, so can get excited about that now. Mad March Hares on Sunday, then Not the Clocks, life starts here kids!

Iā€™ve had years of doing Guzzi tappets and, regardless of the technique I use, itā€™s still a bit hit and miss.
Itā€™s my equivalent of the brain training eercises!
Steve

For doing the tappets, I always use a method recommended in Gambalunga many many years ago
The ICEO method is very reliable and you cannot get the cylinders wrong.
Here is how to check it
Remove the rocker covers and plugs and put the bike in top gear. Roll the bike forwards until an exhaust valve just starts to open. Without moving the bike, set the inlet tappet on the same side. Next roll the bike back till the inlet valve just starts to open. Now set the exhaust tappet for that same cylinder
Then repeat for the other side.
As for clearance, .2 inlet and .25 exhaust is the recommendation in Guzziology.

I always pull the plugs. Always stick my T bar screwdriver down the hole. Always crank the motor with a hex key in the alternator bolt. TDC is always at the top. But itā€™s a cat skinning exercise of course.

ā€œNo Cats were harmed during the maintainence of this Motorcycleā€