Frame and serial numbers Lemans

Looking for any info for a mate on the Duc forum who wants to leave the dark side.He’s worried about the look-a-likey MK II clones and so as a favour I thought I’d ask here.Now all this may be common knowledge but not to me as I’m not that interested in the LM Is (more of a Magni guy myself)Anybody with any info or just pointers history in general etc: all info welcome and would be greatly appreciatedJohn

Details of all Guzzi frame numbers are available here:- Frame numbers

I’d say it’s worth his investing in a copy of the ‘Moto Guzzi Sport and Le Mans Bible’ by Ian Faloon. It’s not cheap at almost £30 but could save him more than that…

1s and 2s have VE prefixes and there has always been some debate ove where exactly 1s stopped and 2s began…even the abovementioned excellent book contains contradictions…but for me the biggest giveaway is the yokes which on the 2 are wider and a different shape, necessitating disc spacers…

dunner ask me what colour my anorak is tho’…

Pink surely. Yeah ‘VE’ and 5 digits, in the range 18147 - 25481 for Mk 2. Ish. HTH EDIT: in answer to his question if it ain’t got a ‘VE’ prefix then it ain’t the LM it pretends to be. EDIT2: the VIN plate is on the headstock and may be V difficult to see with top fairing in situ, HOWEVER if ou turn bars full left lock you should be able to read it by squinting in the right hand side. Note may have a star stamped at the beginning and the end, at least mine has, one time we was trying to read it like this for an MOT and thought the end star was a figure 4, it isn’t. Well I hadn’t seen it for a long time! The engine number is on the left side and front of the crankcase. Bears no relation to frame number BTW.

Mike H2014-06-04 13:51:02

Miko…

No word of a lie straight up, on Satdee while I was out in the wilds of East Sussex collecting some gear for a mate, I saw a biker with many large bold pink panels on the leathers. And brunette locks flutterin’ about behind the lid. So I’m guessing has to be a girlie, or does thinking that make me sexist … Can’t be too sure these days can you