fuel tank cap.

Much success with cleaning the fuel tank with electrickery.
Given the tank a wash round but the seal to the filler cap is rock hard and so doesn’t seal.
Does anyone know where a new fuel cap seal can be bought?
Thanks
Neil

You can get any size O rings on eBay

Am I missing an o ring here???

No, ignore my last post.

1 Like

:+1: I was hoping it was.

You can try sort of shop I have never seen in UK: the one with plenty of washing machine spares. Big fatty rubber washer, you know - this is the path to follow. Although it should be petrol resistant, so… good car spares shop? Scrap yard?

1 Like

You can buy Viton in many different shapes and sizes. You may need to trim the inner to suit. Put Viton washer into eBay and there are numerous options available. Something like these

2 Likes

If you take the hardened rubber seal off what is left? Is there a grove that would take a large O ring in its place?

The seal is fitted held in place by the domed part with the square hole.
It appears to be specific.

I’ll get my coat :roll_eyes:

1 Like

:rofl: I was banking on you :joy:

You should be able to find what you need by following the above advice! however i would add that on e-bay you can find rubber sheet in different thickness that you could cut a new seal out of!.
in fact i did just that for my old HARLEY (sorry all!) but used CORK sheeting 2mm thick!

2 Likes

It looks like you need to clean up the neck of the tank where the seal sits. The seal needs to sit onto a smooth surface to work, yours looks to be quite pitted in the photo you posted.

1 Like

I’ll check tomorrow :+1:

Hi netleyneil’ … I’ve had exactly the same problem with the hardened fuel tank seal that goes with the horrible plastic flip caps of the earlier models.
The bad news is that after much searching, I never did find any suitable replacement for the original spec ‘stepped’ seal that would work… But I did manage to successfully ‘re-soften’ the existing seal by immersing (for a few days… the longer the better) … in a 50-50 mixture of ‘Wintergreen oil’ and ‘Surgical spirit’ ! … Trust me it works … so far!
However, If I was in your position of tank off ?? … I’d bite the bullet and source a decent filler cap, … and cut and weld and repaint ? … Check out: Stafford Vehicle Components for some examples of decent caps?

1 Like

If you decide to use Wintergreen, you may find it more economical to use its main ingredient, Methyl salicylate, available on ebay et al

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Un fortunately I dropped all the “bodywork” off with the painter on Thursday morning so I’ll have to go down the softening route though I’m going to try a cork gasket first. I spoke to Pete (wyegrove2008 on fleabay) who’s always very helpful.
Cheers for all the advice
Neil