Galletto 160 Piston Rings

My Galletto 160cc 1952 has gummed up/seized piston rings on its Asso 63.4mm oversize piston.
Does anyone have a brilliant ring freeing operation?
Alternatively, can I get replacement rings or complete piston to suite please?
Cheers
Chapmac41

Soak in diesel,plus gas or WD 40 ,I have also soaked in brake cleaner. Try it ,but you may need new rings .

As above for releasing the old rings, the only thing I would add is a bit of heat to expand the piston. The alloy piston will expand more than the steel rings. I use a hot air paint stripper gun to warm things up.
If you do need new rings, then they probably will have to come from Italy unless you can find generic ones of the correct dimensions.
Try Guzzi retro, Subito or The King of Pistons.

Many Thanks for replies.
I soaked in Plus Gas and got one oil ring off but then broke the second.
As it happens it doesn’t much matter since it turns out the piston fitted was an over large rebore and a botched piston (from who knows where or what) with a part skimmed skirt to make it clear the crank!
So realistically I’m looking for a barrel and piston to suite, or a barrel I can bore to a piston that King of Piston says they can supply up to 63.00mm.
Any further assistance much appreciated.
Cheers
Clive

I wonder if the other piston was from a 160 Stornello?
I would say you are unlikely to find spares in this country and will end up sourcing replacement parts from Italy. Could you get a new liner pressed into your barrel?
Take a look at t his link to a selection of Galletto spares for sale in Italy…

Sounds like a bit of a horror story. When I opened up my Ercolino engine (basically the same as the 192cc Galletto engine) I found the piston was made by Suzuki with a scratched “No4” on the crown! there were no gudgeon pin circlips fitted and the bore was nicely “machined” by the said gudgeon pin! I was able to get the barrel re-sleeved and Marco at Guzziretro supplied a brand new standard size Mondial piston complete with rings, gudgeon pin and circlips.
Cheers, Phil

Hello Phil
Thanks for the info/reply.
Can you tell me who re-sleeved your barrel and if they did the whole job of boring to the new piston.
I can get a piston, but the only people I have found to re-sleeve the barrel are expensive (I Think) and would only supply the bare sleeve for fitment and boring by others.
Cheers
Clive

Hi Clive, I am in South Africa so I don’t think I’ll be much help with respect to suggesting an automotive engineering shop that can do the re-sleeving for you in the UK. Sorry about that. Good luck, Phil