Gear selection problem.

Dealer closed today so can’t ring them until tomorrow, hopefully it’s a simple fix somebody here knows already.

Problem selecting first, managed to get to my destination without it as 2nd pulls well enough, but on arrival found I couldn’t change below 4th.

Let the bike cool down for 15 mins and pushed up onto the centre stand, wobbled rear wheel back and forwards and then all gears selectable again, inc. neutral.

Went for a ride at lunch time, all gears fine. Stopped for 30 mins, rode back and on the way back the same problem occured except this time can get into 3rd and no lower.

Have tried adjusting clutch lever and cable adjuster which seemed to help the first time but not the second time. Stopped bike again,.engine off, rolled back and forwards on wheels and I can get all gears again.

I’m guessing dirty linkage or clutch cable is the issue ?

how many miles has the machine done ?

About 16500

does it have the pushrod at the back ? sometimes the bearing on it can collapse
I take it the box has plenty of oil
other option could be a failing clutch cable ?

1 Like

What I can see of the linkage outside of the box looks fairly clean (especially since the rest of the rear of the bike is pretty muddy at the moment) and is protected by a plastic tray/guard. Nothing appears to be overly loose or wobbly.
Cable feels ok and adjusting it gives the normal range of movement, clutch works normally.
It’s going in to the dealer on Saturday as it is still under warranty so I’m not doing anything more with it now.
Mechanic says it’s likely to be a long wait for a fix if it’s anything other than the linkage.

One thing I have noticed, if I push up slightly in the gear lever then try changing down that seems to work. It’s also getting difficult to change up gears too last time I rode it so I won’t be using it now except for the ride to the dealer.

thank god its under warranty
I know that the small bearing on the pushrod can fail, causing the thing to collapse, hopefully ti wont be anything too big

Warranty up next month so fortunate it happened now in a way, although I’m still not over the moon about it obviously.

can you get an extended warranty ?
I had a gearbox meltdown on mine, when it was 2 years old, not covered by warranty, as the bloke i paid to service it, and quite clearly instructed that only he was to carry out the work
subbed it to his workshop turkey, a completely cack handed over confident accident prone imbecile
all the turnkey had to do was refill the engine with oil and the gearbox
he onloy did the engine as he knew that all motorcycle share the engine gearbox oil
negotiations became drawn out and protracted, but I remained calm and polite, eventually we came to an arrangement, where Nigel at NBS sorted it, and the muppet paid me so much a week
owned her 20 years now so used to the funny little ways

I’ll ask on Saturday about extending it, never owned a new vehicle of any description before this one and bought this intending it will do me until I’m too old to ride any more. It hopefully will manage that, been happy with it so far.

of late I have been thinking I might be nearing the end of the road
perhaps a scooter calls
but I will keep going for as long as I can

1 Like

I had this happen for one or two journeys only. Maybe 20,000 miles ago. It then was fine. I can think of only two things that might have caused it. The clutch adjuster at the bar doesn’t stay put properly, so it comes out of adjustment. May have been sorted on more recent bikes than mine.
The other thing was I was suffering with sciatica at the time. I also found that pushing the lever up first allowed me to change down, but I think I may have been still applying slight pressure on it after changing gear as my leg wasn’t working properly! So after changing up, the lever wasn’t being allowed to go back into place properly, because of my foot, if you see what I mean.

Update on the gear selector problem, it turned out to be lubricant dried/washed out of the bushing the lever pivots on.

Matt at McCrum’s stripped the whole linkage apart and gave it clean and relube and now it’s changing nice and smoothly again.

Also have to give a massive thanks to Matt and Wes McCrum who had decided if it was an internal gearbox problem they would put another gearbox on to keep me on the road while they stripped mine and sent photos of what parts were needed to Piaggio for warranty repair. As currently the V85 is my only transport because the other bikes are off the road this was a big weight off my mind knowing I wouldn’t be needing to get buses everywhere for the next couple of months and miss out on summer riding.

As you suggested Rapheal I asked about an extended warranty and this is available for another 1 or 2 years, so I’m getting the 2 year at the end of the month.

Very happy with McCrum’s support, if I ever do buy another new bike it will certainly be from Wes.

I missed my usual fry up today though as the chefs are on holiday :smiley:

1 Like

Funny I had the same thing happen to mines today, guess what my job is tomorrow!

1 Like

I feel a bit stupid for not lubing that point myself, I do the footpegs and brake pedal, and the clutch and brake levers on the bars, and for some reason ignored this one