Gel Battery advice please.

[QUOTE=Brian UK]

Then get hold of the early Saprisa regulator, it keeps the voltage lower, usually under 14v. But I had the later reg on the SPIII and that never went over 14.25v. [/QUOTE]

It may be 14.25v, the Guzzi voltmeter is not calibrated that precisely, but it’s still enough to kill off an AGM or Gel battery.

I didn’t know there was an early and late Saprisa regulator. There’s only one listed for the Cali III. (Part No 28703800).
Do you know what model the early regulator came from?

Of course the old electro-mechanical regs are adjustable.

The early type was fitted to my 1990 Spada III. It’s smaller than the later one. I still have it actually. I changed it because I was not getting enough out of the alternator.I subsequently found this was due to a demagnetised rotor.However, I had no problems with the later regulator and the Oddysey battery. It was the electric clock drain which killed that. It’s interesting to note that the manufacturers of the Oddysey battery actually tell you to charge it to 14.7 volts.http://www.odysseybattery.com/chargers.html They also say do not exceed 15 volts as this will cause gassing and blow off the rubber valve caps internally. In my experience it is deep discharge which kills AGM batteries.
Brian UK2013-11-14 22:43:14

That kind of makes sense, as means possibly high current flow when recharging which ‘boils’ off the water faster

Give me the size of the battery tray,and the size of the battery required.
Or have a look on the westco website
http://estorebc.mkbattery.com/Category/65_1/Moto_Guzzi.aspx

No, I think it is the actual discharging which kills them.I have tried recharging with a heavy duty charger, which brought the volts up to nearly 16, but I did also add some water. This removed the sulphation and rejuvinated the battery, but only for a short time, it failed a few months later.

My 8 Month old Odassay batter died when the clock dragged it down to 4 volts ended up putting it in a bucket of water and blasting 80 amp in it but from that date it had no capacity in it If bike did not start first or second prod it went flat instantly

[QUOTE=Brian UK]

[QUOTE=Mike H]

That kind of makes sense, as means possibly high current flow when recharging which ‘boils’ off the water faster  [/QUOTE]
No, I think it is the actual discharging which kills them.I have tried recharging with a heavy duty charger, which brought the volts up to nearly 16, but I did also add some water. This removed the sulphation and rejuvinated the battery, but only for a short time, it failed a few months later.[/QUOTE]