Giro South West +Trans Iberian Challenge 2023

Email from Russell Benney:

Lots of good times ahead !

But first, let me thank you for your support in helping to create a whole new ‘giro’ scene in the UK, now with approaching 150 active participants !

Who would have imagined that we would have more giro eligible 175s at the TMR, than at the moto-giro d’Italia itself ! And by a long way !

So, actually riding small capacity classics (rather than looking at them) is definitely ‘what we do’. !

So, this is what we have in stall for 2023:

We kick off with the second running of the Trans Iberian Challenge, a six day ride across the Pyrenees and Cantabrian mountains from Barcelona to Porto. This is the Spring TIC

Next, is the 2023 June Jaunt, a three day ride covering 300 miles of specially selected west country roads. (with up to 250s allowed)

Then the big one; The Three Moors Run, (Giro South West), running over 4 days and 500 miles across Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor and down as far as Land’s End, in mid-September.

Finally, our year closes with the Autumn Trans Iberian Challenge (the spring version was oversubscribed), this time from Porto to Barcelona in late September.

We know that most of you are already signed up for your chosen events, but it is worth saying that there are a few places still up for grabs on the TMR.

Once again, thank you for your support. We look forward to seeing you next year and have a HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Russell, Lida and the Giro South West team.

Follow us on Facebook - giro south west

If anyone wants knowledge of particularly the north of Iberia do get in touch as I have written 7 books on travelling the Cordillera Cantabrica and the Pyrenees over 20+ years. A group I started Redirecting... has a load of info and contacts. I take tours and provide itineraries that will get you totally off the beaten track and into the real Spain. But just email or FB me with questions…

More from Russell Benney:
Dear all,

It’s almost time !

Thirteen tiddlers set off on the 2nd Trans-Iberian Challenge, TIC, (Barcelona – Porto) in two weeks’ time and the temperature in Barcelona is already topping 30 C. ! We shall be pleased to get into the Pyrenees!

A new Autumn TIC has also been arranged to cater for those who could not be accommodated this month. For that one, we set-off in late September from Barcelona and arrive in Porto on the 2nd Oct. We still have a couple of places left for those interested (tiddlers only please)

We have expanded the number of rooms for The JUNE JAUNT to accommodate the increased demand. Thanks for signing up. We are soooo looking forward to it ! The new 2023 routes should be with you by the end of the month.

The big one – The Three Moors Run, commences this year on 10th September, for 500 miles of west country fun. The dilemma we face is this – how on earth do we give you something new and improve on the well proven Somerset & Devon routes that have been so popular ? We are reluctant to forgo some of our ‘classic’ sections, but yet getting some fresh lanes in is always nice. That’s our problem….and actually what a pleasant one ! There are literally two unfilled places for the TMR – again tiddlers only please.

Finally, please make sure you don’t get tempted away from the workshop or testing by such demands as; the lawn, the sun, grandchildren, the dog etc. we don’t want to see each other in the breakdown truck. Good luck testing.

Fettle on,

Regards, Russell and the GSW team.