Have I just bought the cheapest Stelvio in Europe ?

After my successful first foray into the world of renovation/resurrection, on a very unloved 2V 1200 sport, I decided that this was something I really enjoyed.
With this in mind I decided to sell the 1200 to fund the purchase of another project, preferably a Guzzi.
But, I was seduced and waylaid by a Generation 2 Triumph Explorer, and ended up using the money from the sale of the Guzzi to swap my 2015 Explorer for a new Generation 2 Explorer.

In the meantime with funds a little depleted I decided to give it a couple of months before looking for my winter project.
But, the inevitable happens and I came across 2009 Stelvio with 40k on the clock, an almost complete service history and a conversion to the roller cams.

Despite seeing links on another Guzzi site and everyone shouting ‘scam’ I gave the guy a ring. He told me the bike was unloved and although he’d had it serviced annually that’s all he did.

So having not seen the bike I decided to take a punt, So long as the running gear is good I’m not to fussed about condition as it will be getting a complete seeing to.

Have I got my fingers burnt ? when the bike arrives with me on Monday the 10th I’ll know.
At £2050,yes 2 thousand and 50 pounds it’s a cheap Stelvio and time will tell as to whether it’s an absolute bargain or a total dog.

Wow! I would dare to say it’s worth it for the parts alone.

There are bound to be a few issues but at that price, I think you have a great base for a project. If it IS a total dog, then wrap the exhausts, paint it matt black, take a hammer to it and the Bobber/Café/Hipster market will love it :slight_smile:

Interesting that you’ve been drawn back to a Stelvio. I remember reading, possibly here, about you changing your original Stelvio for a Triumph Explorer. I get that - it was a bike that very very nearly tempted me. I still look at them whistfully every now and then but other than that stonking power, I can’t think of one area where it has a significant practical advantage over the Stelvio (for me). I take that back - the heated seats are quite something, aren’t they :slight_smile: ?

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the 2009. They are supposed to have a sportier cam profile than the later big tank versions but as yours has been rollerised, it may have a different profile now. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jon

Hi Jon,
Your right about that ‘stonking power’ and it was that which in the end drew me to the Explorer. I really did like the Stelvio but for me it just lacked a little top end grunt, especially when fully loaded with camping gear etc.

I’ve now got the Generation 2 Explorer which really is a cracking bike.

Anyway, as soon as I’d done the deal on my first explorer, and although I knew the bike was better suited to my needs than the Stelvio, I began to miss it and vowed that one day I would have another.

In the meantime I purchased an 1000ds Multistrada as second bike which was just not my cup of tea. Luckily I managed to do a deal with the Multi for a very well serviced but unloved Guzzi 1200 sport which had lived it’s whole life outdoors. I spent the last winter bringing the sport back to life and it turned out very nice. Hopefully I can do the same with the Stelvio.

The bike has been picked up by A2b bike couriers and is frustratingly not being delivered to me until next Monday. It’s got a fresh MOT and a more or less full history, so hopefully all the running is OK.

The seller sent me lots of detailed pics and whilst it looks unloved it’s certainly doesn’t look beyond redemption.
As you say it’s bound to have some issues, but I’m going to run it as is for a couple of months and decide how far I want to go with any renovation.
To be honest I’m more excited about getting my hands on this than I was the new Explorer. There really is something about bringing a bike back from the brink, to once again being a fully functional piece of machinery.

Have a like, though keeping it as a goer gets my vote.

Do let us know how it turns out. :smiley:

Yep…

Sounds like a great project Steve.

Hi folks,
Bit of an update for any interested parties. I can’t find how to post pics, if someone can kindly direct me, I’ll get my good lady to put some up.
Well I’ve now had the Stelvio for around 5 months and I rode it for around 3 before starting any major work.

I gave the bike a good clean and from 6 feet away it looked fairly decent but on closer inspection it was very clear much fettling needed to be done.

Jobs that needed to be taken care of straightaway were, cracked front fork rhino horn, oil pressure switch leak, exhaust blowing quite badly.
Front Rhino horn was welded by a local engineering company. He cut a V all the way through the crack and welded it. He then bored the spindle hole and fitted a liner. looked like a very good job and it’s held up OK these last 3 months.

Oil pressure switch was a proper pain but when I got the tank off it was clear it was losing a lot of oil. The original switch is no longer available and an adapter needs to be used. The bike is now totally oil tight.

Exhaust was blowing at both cylinder ports and one of the joints. When I removed the system the actual exhaust rattled like a good un, and it’s innards where clearly shot. I considered the after market route but managed to get an original Item at a reasonable price. So once everything was buttoned back up the bike was good to go and the next couple of months riding it would determine what level of restoration I would go to.

The bike rides lovely, clutch is a bit heavy but other than that it’s nice.
The bike is currently stripped to the frame and engine ( I’ll try to get some pics up) I’ve rebuilt the front forks, new seals, new dust covers, fresh oil, and the lower clamps have been repainted.

Rear wheel was a bit of a mess, but it’s cleaned up pretty well. Spokes where badly rusted and I actually cleaned them all with wet & dry then gave them a good polish repainted the hub by hand, rim has cleaned up as good as new.

When I removed the rear shock, the lower mounting point was actually starting to split. New Hyperpro shock on order.

As usual the swing arm bearings where almost devoid of grease, but at least it all came apart easily.

I repainted a 1200 sport engine in situ and it came up really well so I’ll do the same with this one.
Rear sub frame really does need repainting but it’s just about fully exposed so shouldn’t be to problematic to paint.

Once the engine and subframe are done the rebuild can begin, that is of course once every thing is cleaned or painted.

Hopefully I can keep the total build cost under a grand. it should then be a nice bike and still good value for money.

Steve

what on earth is a rhino horn ?
is that an american temr???

Don’t think it’s an American term. If you look at the front wheel spindle clamps, rather than fasten centrally at the base of the fork leg there is a nub that protrudes from the base of the lower fork leg. It has two pinch bolts that go through it to clamp the front wheel spindle.
This nub is known as a ‘Rhino Horn’. The problem was/is that during tyre changing on refitting the front wheel many fitters over tightened the spindle clamps beyond the recommended 20nm. This could and often did result in the ‘Rhino Horn’ cracking along the line of the clamp bolt holes.

This shows it I think - B-I-G picture hence a link not img:

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2016-Moto-Guzzi-Stelvio-1200-NTX-ABS3.jpg

\

This is the fork stub with the wheel clamp if you could not spot it on the big picture, apparently called a rhino horn. Ignore the plastic cover that is part of the mud guard. It is a tad thin around the front wheel spindle mind…

Beat me to it Al :smiley: