Heated grips - are they possible on a V7 850?

Hi. This is my first post so I hope it’s in the correct place. I have a 2022 V7 Special 850. I’m used to riding with heated grips but I’m not sure they are possible on the V7 as I read on an American Guzzi forum that the alternator can’t cope with heated grips and a halogen headlight. They suggested that an LED headlight be fitted but I’m not keen to go down that route. Does anyone have experience of heated grips on a V7 850? Thanks
Regards
Tony

I cannot see why not, they do not draw a vast current
however, if your machine has Canbus electronics, then you need the correct connectors, and chip
I have them on my ancient Breva, only time I have a problem is when sitting in traffic they will cut off to protect the battery
I dont use Oxford Hotgrips, as a Sparks by trade I have had far too many problems with their controllers, and you cannot adjust them when riding
I use a make called RS with a 5 LED display and one button

Hi Rapheal. Thanks for your reply. I think that the V7 850 does have a canbus system so that might cause problems. I guess that the other option I’ve got is to run the grips via a relay that switches the grips directly to the battery and have a separate on/off switch that connects to a switched feed to operate the relay.
Regards
Tony

The information I have says it’s got a 430 Watts alternator so not sure what they’re on about, should be plenty. 430W is 30 Amps at 14V.

Tho you might have an issue if it spends a lot of time idling, and not moving.

1 Like

not a good idea, as the Canbus system is rather clever ( I am old school sparks) and it will detect a current drop across the charging circuit and try to identify a fault
you really need to find out if the factory provided an option, or a relay unit with a node built in to indicate when in use, and prevent control signals going awry
its a fantastic and complex, but reliable system, however a few know it alls have managed to nuke the systems on cars and bikes, one is a well know local idiot, and thought that as I have a well equipped workshop, I could fix it for free !!
I help out lots of youngsters and older people with problems
but and office manager/ bully who can afford a 4 wheel drive to run about in and a high end RT is not my type of person

it seems you need the genuine factory ones, and once fitted they must be coded into the Main Ecu by a dealer
its a small downside to modern motorcycling
but against that you can reliability, better charging and starting, easier fault finding

many years ago working for the Government, our old fashioned relay and battery security systems, started to become electronic, with buttons and leds. lots of the old guys handed in their notice, me I loved it, no carrying around boxes of huge lantern batteries, no sticky relays and jammed microswitches, and hours spent with a meter fault finding, the LED identified the faulty circuit ( unless one of the copper pressed the button because the flashing light annoyed him !!)

then those system took a stellar leap, into ICs
and LCDs
now we had a programmable display with times and days on the LCD, a stored memory that could be printed off
awesome
circuits needs far less cables and less voltage drop
quicker installation, and we could also identify users, and spot who was telling lies
again.lots of the older blokes jacked it in and left
I stayed and learnt
same with fire alarms systems

no rose tinted goggles for me
the ability to interrogate systems and repair them remotely, saved lots of blokes standing around in the cold, hours of driving, and lost weekends

then it became GPS linked with satellite stuff
and I joined the old blokes !!!
and went back to being an ordinary sparks

I have two cars
a 2012 focus ex cop car
and a 1961 Morris Oxford
guess which one is reliable rust free, and keeps clocking the miles at 55mpg ??
its not the Morris

my breva does that, the grips drop out if the voltage falls below 12.2
as soon as I get moving they click in again
the old beemer used to do it ( mono shock R80RT) cured by the fitting of a police spec regulator

also the canbus system uses so little current and manages the current use, that in reality their should be plenty of power, and its not likely that you will have the grips on the highest setting for very long, I usually use 3 to warm up then 1 to keep my hands warm ( plus a windscreen COZ i IS A BIG JESSIE)

I have the 850 stone (so LED headlight) and use Oxford grips connected directly to the battery, they work fine and turn off with the bike (they detect the current drop when the engine is off and shut off).

1 Like

I have used Oxford grips for years without problems. The connect to the battery, so I cant see why there would be an issue with canbus wiring as you wont touch it. I can adjust the temp on mine whilst riding. The latest top of the range ones have a switch on the grip now. A bit pricey though.
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/hotgrips_pro_touring_integrated/

1 Like

Hi. The Oxford Pro grips look good although they’re not much cheaper than the OEM ones.
Horton, when you fitted your Oxford grips did you have to smooth down the throttle tube? I’ve seen some throttle tubes that have ridges and other sorts of raised bits on them. Thanks.
Regards

Yes the white tube has ridges which need trimming. A sharp stanley knife and some 400 grit paper makes short work of them.

If you mess it up a new tube is about £15, it’s the same part number (GU32603310 ) across the whole modern v7 range.

I fitted the pro last year (touring version), I like the cleanliness of not having a separate controller. They fit like a glove on both sides and put out more than enough heat for my January commutes. They need minimal trimming and come with grooves at the end to make this a simple job with the kitchen scissors.

Thanks Ramsaye. It looks like the Oxford Pro grips are the way to go. Thanks also for the throttle tube part number - I hope I don’t need it!
I’m assuming you connected your grips directly to the battery - is that correct?
Regards
Tony

Yes, it’s what Oxford seem to advise these days to avoid canbus issues.

Thanks for that :+1:

Would these fit? - quite a bit cheaper

LEDs are brighter and last longer too. and they use about half the wattage of a halogen. So use a LED headlamp and put the heated grips on the bike.

Does it have Canbus ?

I reefer you to my earlier posting, if the machine has Canbus, which I suspect it does
then messing with the headlight will bring a whole load of problems including no warranty
it is likely to have LED anyway

Because the Canbus system monitors battery charge rate, battery discharge rate
battery voltage, and much more, if the bars are not coded in then the surges and pulses will be felt by the main control ECU
and faults will register, and can shut the machine down
even jump starting Canbus equipped vehicle can destroy the voltage sensor circuit

Oxford grip are OK but I found the controllers failed too often and were difficult to operate when moving

on a normal motorcycle with a 12 volt rail and chassis earth no problem
but this is a leap into the future, and if you fry it, the motorcycle will be a write off
unless you have a degree in electronic engineering , which I dont

Having been an electrician for 45 years, working for the home office and private clients, on power systems, UPS camera and data systems
I learnt to be cautions and not jump in and mess about
watching a big mouthed know it all wipe out 40K worth of signalling equipment, by spiking it , through failing to do a soft start
then hearing an Admiral call him some very very rude names, made me pleased with my approach
especially as Said navy had to get a wokka and fly a new box of magic out and three engineers to start it up properly, it was painful to watch
I was waiting for them to ring me and tell me over the phone, but big mouth waded in trying to show off
I did sneak off for a chortle, and bought the techies lunch and beer
the pilots only got orange juice and coffee
but a very very nice lunch for their troubles

A few weeks ago I visited a property where the computers, and IT equipment modems and TVs kept failing for no reason
now this is more my line

two houses knocked into one

two separate incoming supplies on different phases
house-owner and developer, knew it all

him and his brother had carried out the work using you tube videos !!

the berk had joined two rings on two seperate phases
between 300 and 400 volts at the sockets

DNO came at my request and severed both supplies for safety
and issued him with a court notice
get the house rewired, and certificated before power will be restored
Part P ( supposed to stop wallies)
I sent him my bill which so far he has forgotten to pay
a man has to know his limitations
thats why I pay Antonio to maintain my motorcycle

Canbus

I steer well clear of it

1 Like

Hi Glynn. I’m thinking of getting a set of Oxford Pro heated grips and wiring them directly to the battery. The grips have a cut-out circuit to disconnect them from the power supply when the engine’s not running so that should prevent a flat battery.

Carry on
I have given you my advice based on 45 years of experience,
whats the worst that could happen