Hello from Swindon

Hello,
I’m lucky enough to pick up a 1980 V50 a few weeks back and just starting to get it up and running. Never had a Motto Guzzi before, but am looking forward to learning more and generally fettling it.

Thus far I’ve managed to get it running on choke, but dies when off. So starting with some fresh fuel and then attack carbs I guess. Its been sat for at least last 6-12 months, but lots of little things could be wrong.

Hopefully be able to make it to meets in coming weeks.

Darren.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.
Having sat for around a year shouldn’t have any major consequences. A good going through of the basics will hopefully get it up and running for you. There are plenty of manuals, wiring diagrams etc available for free on the internet. Have a look here
https://www.guzzitek.org/gb/accueil_gb.htm
Go through a basic service tappets, plugs, air filter oil change and filter clean. A good clean of the carbs should help.

1 Like

Actually, working better now. I’ve put some fresh fuel in it, and played a little with idle adjust. Appears to have tiny K&N filters. Things are looking up. Love the simplicity of the thing.
D.

1 Like

Hi dangerdarren

Is it a Mark II or III. I had a Mark III for twenty years and know a lot about them.

Welcome Darren, another Swindon Guzzi owner here. Hope to see you out and about…

Andy

Hi Richard, that’s good to hear.

I’m pretty new to the brand. One question for you, as a seasoned owner is around the front brake. Rear brake is linked, and front appears to be only attached to one disk. When I pull hard on front brake I get pretty bad judder, the disc looks pretty straight, and I’ve cleaned the calliper and it appears to function. Any ideas? (Its a VII BTW.)

Any advice gratefully received.

Darren.

Hi Darren . I have a well used and well loved Mk 3. On both models the offside front disc is operated by the handlebar lever and the nearside front disc and rear disc are operated by the foot pedal . Linked brakes are great in my opinion, and l only use the other front brake if l want to fall off.
You will see many oold Guzzi’s with the offside front disc rusty . Enjoy your bike , Cheers . Red Ray Bristol .

1 Like

Are there any marks on the discs from where the bike has been standing? Mine has slight stains on the disc that are an imprint of the disc pad from when it has been parked afetr a wet ride. These will cause a slight judder when braking hard.

Interesting you say that @Don-Spada - there was some marks on the disk that looked “pad” shaped. I cleaned it off with some brake clean and a bit of wire wool, but honestly I might have done a poor job on it. When I get home I’ll give it another go. (I have to say that it was more than a slight judder I felt, I could see the fork leg flexing during breaking.)

Thanks for the pointer.

Darren.

I suspect if you run a finger nail over the area, you will feel a slight roughness that is enough to cause a judder on braking.