High charging voltage

Ive just rebuilt a V50ii. Prior to the rebuild there was no charging but I discovered a broken wire. Its now charging but if I increase the revs to 4000, the voltage at the battery rises to 17v. According to the manual, it should be no more than 14.8v. The charging light stays on and gets brighter at highers revs.

What’s the likely cause?

The electrical system is all standard.

Sounds like your voltage regulator isn’t working. There’s a couple good troubleshooting guides

or

1 Like

Thanks for that. Looks like my regulator is dead. If I rev it, the voltage just keeps going up where the regulator should keep it below 15v.

Gutsibits have a solid state regulator for £32 so hopefully a cheap fix

1 Like

That looks like a good solution. A few people on here have fitted combined rectifier / regulators and had difficulties getting them to work correctly with the Bosch system. Hopefully that will be a direct plug and play replacement.

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=Voltage+Regulator+d+Type&f=d&Model=0&search=SEARCH

Thats the one. It should be a simple solution hopefully….

1 Like